1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

July 13, 1977: Where were you when the lights went out?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Jul 13, 2009.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

It's the 32nd anniversary of the blackout that set off riots in NYC. I was 9 years old, and it's one of my most vivid memories from childhood. The whole story -- about how Con-Ed bungled it, and couldn't handle the overload, what triggered the rioting and how it all went down was covered really well in Jonathan Mahler's book, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bronx Is Burning.

Here is a commemoration the NY Times did for the 30th anniversary:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/07/13/the-night-the-lights-went-out/

The city was in such a malaise and the blackout and the rioting really defines that period in the late 70s for me. I remember all the graffiti everywhere and how run down parts of New York that are nice now, were then.

Anyone else have vivid memories of the blackout?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Hiding from Sam.

3. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

I was still a week or two away from being conceived.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I was 22 days short of turning 17 and we were celebrating my sister's 6th birthday. Thus, today I had lunch with my sister for her 38th birthday.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I was in a bar in Passaic. Being stupid and young, we thought about heading into the city, but luckily we came to our senses.

I remember the mid-60s blackout better, because it actually affected us. And we all thought my sister caused it, because -- after losing too many dials off the TV from fights over which station to watch -- we were completely forbidden to change the channel once a show had been agreed upon.

My sister decided to ignore the law, and just as she touched the dial the lights went out.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I was on vacation in Miami.

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Probably on tour. I was one of Freddie Mercury's unitards in a past life.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

i was 20. away from nyc, working in the catskills.

9. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I was in high school in southwestern Kansas.

This is the first time I've heard about it.

10. Colton

Colton Active Member

I was 13 and I am embarrassed to say I have no recall of this, though I have read about it.

I was more than likely desperately searching for Barry Foote, Gary Sperum or some other player's card(s) to fill out my '77 Topps set.

Then again, perhaps I was still trying to recover from barely surviving Hurricane Agnes in 1972 to think about any other calamities. :-\

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Your sister apparently being our 21

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I betcha perhaps half of sj. wasn't even born in '77. Just a hunch

Draft saved Draft deleted