1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Julio Lugo Signed by Boston

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Dec 5, 2006.

1. Next year we'll be saying the same thing about whatever SS they bring in to replace Lugo.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No - Mrs Lugo meet Manny

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'll agree with whomever said that Lugo is a much better player than he showed in LA.

Good signing for the BoSox.

Now, why they wanted JD Drew's country ass, I'll never know.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Why are they getting rid of Gonzalez? He's a vacuum. Bad move.

Drew? I've always liked the way he runs the bases, but that also was 3 years ago with the Braves. He's older and not quite as fast.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Was the Bronson Arroyo-Wily Mo Pena deal on Theo's watch? I thought the trade occured before Theo came back to the Sox.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Happened in spring training. Theo was gone for a month or so around Halloween.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think part of their problem last year was too many weak spots in the lineup. Lugo is a definite downgrade defensively, but he's not that bad defensively and he also fills their need for a leadoff hitter.

They really do keep changing their minds about their priorities, though.

8. KP

KP Active Member

Every trade was on Theo's watch. He never left the friggin building.

Lugo better duplicate his '05 season offensively or the public will be pissed.

Now with Schmidt going to Chavez, does that open a Manny to the Dodgers for Penny trade? No Manny would prevent a redux of Mrs. Renteria and Manny. And why Manny would cheat on his wife is beyond me (smoking).

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

When Lugo was traded at the end of July, he was hitting .307 with a solid .373 OBP, 12 home runs and 18 stolen bases in basically three months. He missed all but one game in April (returned May 5) with a strained oblique. I think that was his first time on the DL in the majors.

Project that out over a full season and he puts up some very strong numbers.

Hey, I had him on a fantasy baseball team. That trade cost me a good hitter because the Dodgers basically made him useless.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You mean you didn't believe the dog-and-pony show about burnout?

Never heard about that affair. No wonder why Renteria was slumping; he wasn't getting any bootsing.

11. statrat

statrat Member

Damn. $70 mil because he can run the bases well! Hell, give me Theo's number, I used to be quite a base stealer in little league.

12. In Exile

In Exile Member

They're already raking Lugo through the coals on Boston radio for the Houston domestic violence charge. The Mrs., who he has since divorced, recanted on the stand during the trial, which was a complete surprise to the prosecution at the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted