1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Juliet Macur on Jameis Winston

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 25, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd be surprised if there are many tougher convictions to get. There's so much "he said, she said" as well as, unfortunately, there being a history of people claiming they were raped when they weren't. I am not under any circumstances saying that's the case here, I have no idea, but it factors in why it's so hard to get a conviction.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Also: Alcohol.

RecoveringJournalist likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Then it's possible that Macur, through her bias, is conflating two very different things here. "She liked it"- the ol' Bob Knight defense - seems like a neanderthal justification after the rape has began. Winston is talking about what happened before sex began. Or, like I said earlier, it's possible that Macur considers any action that would even elicit a moan to require an explicit request to continue, and an affirmative, explicit response.

"May I touch your clitoris?"

"Yes."

Maybe that's where we're at. But she should say that. It's an important part of her argument that's missing.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Right. It's like those women's groups that want women to sign a form as a way to show consent. It just doesn't happen.

I'm not claiming to have any grasp on what Winston did or didn't do, but I know that at times, especially in college when alcohol is involved, people do things they regret the next morning.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'll have to try that as a pick up line. "May I touch your clitoris?"

Just have to figure out the best place: bar, Barnes and Noble, or cornfield?

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

He answered questions just not enough to satisfy the lynch mob led by LTL.

Add the Supreme Court Justice to the cast of people who conspired to keep the fourth string quarterback eligible even though nobody had a clue who the alleged rapist was when the girl first cried wolf.

FSU PD
    TPD
    FDLE
    SAO
    Hospital nurses who administered rape kit
    UF Toxicology Lab

This is a girl who felt remorse

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Just win two more games, turn pro, get drafted by Cleveland, and everyone will STFU.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's pretty damn vindictive, Vombie.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

$250K to woman, $700K to lawyers. Thought it interesting this information was revealed

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Her lawyers say they aren't taking that much and FSU insisted on including that detail in the release. John Clune, one of her attorneys, said $700,000 in fees "would be obnoxious."

I'm thinking FSU wanted to say that to indicate that this case was trumped up by greedy lawyers. Judging from the comments on the websites of various Florida newspapers, that impression is hitting home.

Draft saved Draft deleted