1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Juliet Macur on Jameis Winston

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 25, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Most major schools in Florida or SEC country, I'd buy. and probably for certain other programs. But not as a rule in the rest of the country, not to this degree anyway.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Agreed. We're talking about the top programs. I don't think it's like this in Pullman, Corvallis or some other lower-tier program in a major conference. But, at most SEC and Southern schools and a few other places, this is probably closer to the norm than people want to admit.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I believe it's an opinion piece, OT.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And it's an opinion piece not supported by fact.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's not a "stop reading" moment. But it is a moment where some editor needs to try to refine Macur's position. She can't possibly mean that choosing to exercise his fifth Amendment rights is obstruction of justice.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This wasn't a court of law, was it? I think it was a university disciplinary hearing. Not sure why people keep bringing up the fifth amendment.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It wasn't a court of law but anything brought up or said or even marginally discussed will be used in the civil suit against Winston.

He had exactly zero reason to be elaborate or say anything more than what was required.

I guess Macur didn't think that through or she didn't care. Which is kinda dumb if that's the case.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So if it's not a court of law he is required to incriminate himself?

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No, I'm just saying the fifth amendment has no bearing whatsoever on this issue. Someone earlier wondered how Winston could "kinda sorta plead the fifth, where you don't answer anything else but do get to say she was giving verbal and physical consent by 'moaning' and that's enough for the judge and jury? I always thought the right against self-incrimination was an all-in deal." Well, there's no fifth involved here.

The fifth amendment is a non-factor in this discussion. So please stop invoking it.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's a factor in the Sally Jenkins criticism that Winston hasn't talked to police throughout this ordeal, thus making the accuser's story somehow more believable than his. That's utter tripe, and she should be ashamed of herself for writing it.

And it's also bullshit on Macur's part to call it "obstruction of justice" on Winston's part, even if the Constitution isn't implicated in a school proceeding. They want to toss his ass out of school, they're wlecome to. He's not obstructing anything.

Also, a Slate piece on affirmative consent this week noted that California's affirmative consent law, which many complained as too strict, included - wait for it - "appreciative moaning" as an example of affirmative consent.

Juliet Macur must find the law "infuriating."

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Haven't heard "appreciative moaning" before.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sigh ... Neither have I.

Draft saved Draft deleted