1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Julia Roberts & Nationwide Insurance

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Aug 17, 2012.

1. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

You would presume those six Durango purchasers are either psychotic vigilante police crime scene recreationists, or conflicted gay funeral directors, who identify with Hall's most famous characters.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I think the 6 was referring to Julia Roberts.

3. mateen

mateen Well-Known Member

Gotcha - sorry about that.

4. turski7

turski7 Member

No, Flo sucks. Haysbert rules. I wish every time I said "All State" it would be his voice.

5. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

DeNiro has a 'New York works for business' commercial that's been airing for at least the last 30 days. It's an ad trying to promote companies to move their businesses to New York. I see it all the time on the air here in Chicago.

video of the commercial: http://commercialsociety.wordpress.com/2012/06/27/the-new-ny-works-for-business-says-robert-deniro/

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/new-york-debuts-pro-business-pitch-141316

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This. The familiarity factor is very valuable in advertising.

Kevin Spacey did Honda VOs for years. Dunno if he still is.

I figured Michael C. Hall would've been a natural to do Ford spots, given that he drives Fords in Dexter. Him doing Dodge ads strikes me as weird for that reason.

7. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Except for the last five years, Ford already has had an actor doing their commercials and voice overs - Mike Rowe from the Discovery Channel series Dirty Jobs. Ford also uses Denis Leary and Toby Keith in their commercials. So there's no real need for an actor who's most know for playing a serial killer. I'm guessing using 'Dexter' doesn't rate high in the 'likeability factor' that Ford wants in their commercials.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think he was one of the celebrities -- along w/ Yogi Berra and others -- who cut promotional spots for New York after 9/11.

When you consider that, not only is he a new Yorker, and a celebrity, but he also owns restaurants, film studios, and is the driving force behind a fil festival (spinsored by American Express), it makes sense that he would be involved in an effort to boost business in New York.

And, yeah, I've seen those adds a lot in Chicago too.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Gee when you say it like that ....

I guess Hall carrying a certain badass quality that Dodge has long embraced. I just associated him with Ford. And Ford seems not to care about the serial killer angle in its product placement deal with the show. I'm assuming there is one, since Fords are kind of everywhere on that show.

10. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Well respected and honored actors doing TV commercial voice overs for the U.S. market isn't new. Burgess Meredith was a Emmy Award winner, a two-time Academy Award nominee, a Golden Globes nominee and a BAFTRA Awards nominee. His two most memorable roles might be Rocky Balboa's trainer, 'Mick', in Silvester Stalone's Rocky films and the original 'Penguin' in the campy '60s TV series Batman. He was doing voice overs for Honda in the late '70s up until his death in the mid-90s. Besides Honda, he was the TV commercial voice for Bulova Watches, Stokley-Van Camp, United Airlines, and Freakies breakfast cereal.

11. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

novelist_wannabe

We'll see when the next season of Dexter arrives if his character switches to driving Chrysler products.

Draft saved Draft deleted