1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judgment Call: Potential Conflict of Interest

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DTSEPS, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Similar issue came up a while back in regard to covering a son/daughter playing sports. Maybe not the exact same situation, but similar.

How does the coach feel about it? How does the ME feel about it? How would you feel? If the coach does something questionable on or off the field ---- from a questionable play call to getting a DUI --- how would you report on it? Would you cover it any differently than if it were anyone else?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Caesar's wife.

"Caesar's wife must be above suspicion."

Let the M.E. handle it.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A sports editor at a twice-weekly paper is not Caeser's Wife.

Journalist's sense of ethics remind me of school administrators with their zero-tolerance policies. It relieves them of any responsibility to make judgments and thus makes it easy to recite the rules without thinking.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have worked in a weekly paper office with two high schools to cover and you'd better be damned sure sure one doesn't think you're favoring the other. This is an easy and obvious fix.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There is nothing in the world you could possibly do that wouldn't make them think that, in my experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted