1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judges plead guilty in scheme to jail youths for profit

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I remember watching a TV movie in 1987 starring Andy Griffith about a judge who sentenced a teenage girls to an adult jail for something like breaking curfew and the kid was raped by one of the guards.
    This almost sounds like that.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, it's for this very type of reason that the government needs to have some type of regulation on unchecked capitalism and why farming out government services to private companies is scary.

I mean a privately run youth detention center bribing judges to keep sending kids to their lockup?

When money is involved, this type of crap is going to happen if the slimeballs think they can get away with it.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

One of the rare situations where unbelievable really is applicable.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That Andy Griffith would play a crooked judge?

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Another reason to run like hell when people suggest we should just trust government and those charged with our best interests...

Wiretapping Americans without a warrant or oversight? What could possibly go wrong?

6. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Wasn't there a bad movie starring one of the Beastie Boys, that kind of resembled this? I'm drawing a blank.

What happens to the girl headed for college that has a “juvenile detention” sentence on her application? What about kids that will always have that first strike against them? The implications go so deep. Just horrible.

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Why would she put it on her application ?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I hope they get sentenced to the aggregate time they handed out to these kids times two, and have to do it all in GenPop.

9. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Amen to that. The first time I ever read about privatizing prisons, it amazed me that someone could actually think this was a good idea.

Those SOBs deserve hard time, but probably won't get it.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Two assholes break the law and it's an indictment on capitalism? ::)

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

You mean like laws? I thought there were laws on the books against doing this kind of thing.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

If the private prison didn't exist, there would have been nobody to pay the kickbacks, and this wouldn't have happened.

Can't make it any clearer than that.

Draft saved Draft deleted