1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judge to T-Mac Baby Momma: Scrape by on $54,000 per year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 24, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080620/NEWS/806200437/1006

I understand that most of these athletes are a bit irresponsible when it comes to spreading their seed. But this judge kind of laid it on the line with this one. And I love her contention that she should get enough so that her kid can live like T-Mac's other three children. Hey, babe: biig difference. T-Mac's other kids are living at home with him, as is their mother, who Ti-Mac actually married.

However,I love some of those expenses: $5,000 per month for a chef? Can T-Mac work the grill some nights?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Judge to T-Mac Baby Momma: Scrape by on $54,000 per month

Story says 54K a year, but I can't tell the difference between George Michael and Boy George...

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You're right ... can't read today. Now I sort of think T-Mac can scrape up a little more for this woman, out of his $21.6 mill per year.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Child support is supposed to be directly tied into how much the parent makes...

The baby's mother is getting screwed here.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I agree with what the judge said, that the woman is trying enhance her lifestyle, not the child's by asking for $200,000+ per year.

However, as Hondo said, McGrady could certainly pony up more than $54,000 per year. What I'd like to see in cases like this is that the player give the mother a reasonable amount of child support (up to the judge's discretion), but then also put money into a trust fund or something like that. That way, when the kid is old enough, he or she does actually benefit from the money, rather than gold diggers who try to get knocked up by pro athletes to enhance their own lifestyles.

The judge should have said, "Ms. Vega, you're right. Your child does deserve something on par with what Mr. McGrady's other children get. I award you $50,000 per year in child support, plus tuition and insurance. Mr. McGrady will also put $150,000 per year into a trust fund until the child is 18. When the child satisfactorily earns a college degree, the child - and only the child - will have access to the fund."

Not only would that make sure the child receives the benefits of the money, it would force the child to make smart decisions and go to college if he or she wants to have access to the trust fund. It would also make sure the child is mature enough by the time he or she gets the money that the child will hopefully use it wisely.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Great idea.

7. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Probably an idea that's already in place too. A judge probably would rule in favor of the mom unless there's something like that already happening.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Had he done that to start with, he wouldn't owe her $54K per year.

And $54K per year? Shit. I've got to get knocked up by an athlete.

9. Armchair_QB

[​IMG]

Hi big boy ;D

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No kidding. That's great.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Who or what is that?

12. Armchair_QB

She was an East German shot putter. I found an action shot too but she looked too masculine in that one.

Draft saved Draft deleted