1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judge to parents: Change your kid's name

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportsnut2002, Aug 13, 2013.

1. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

Parents in Tennessee go to court over the surname for their kid. Judge tells them the kid can't be named, "Messiah," because only Jesus Christ has earned this moniker.

http://www.wbir.com/news/article/283997/2/Tennessee-Judge-orders-babys-name-be-changed-from-Messiah

The best part, to me, is when the judge is asked whether she'd have a problem with a kid being named Jesus, and the judge says it's not relevant.
    ::)

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's part of me that wishes more judges did things like this...

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This judge is in for a stern rebuke from appellate courts. In 20 years, let the kid sue the parents.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There should be a child-naming committee in charge of this kind of thing. So many horrible parents out there giving their kids God-awful names.

5. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

I agree that there are a lot of names that just make me shake my head, but let the kid decide when he or she is old enough to do so if they want to change it. Otherwise, the judge should leave it alone, IMO.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

There used to be little embossed license plates for sale at gift shops for kids to stick on their bicycles or tricycles. A plate for just about any common name was available.

If a parent was thinking about a name or the spelling of a name that wasn't on that revolving rack at the gift shop, that parent would at least be aware that they were treading near the edge of falling off into the deep end.

Now, with cheap custom printing available on just about anything, it's pretty much open season on whatever parents want to name a kid.

As with about every other of life's problems, I blame technology and the Internet.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, let the kid be tortured on the playground and if they can get through high school without shooting up a school, then they can change their name when they turn 18. :D

What was the example they used in Freakonomics? Temptress?

I think a judge should only get involved in severely extreme cases, but no child should have to grow up named Temptress or Messiah.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah. All it does is bring in some outsider's opinion into the matter. If I were the parents, I'd tell the judge to stick it and if the kid wants to change his own name later, fine. There are all sorts of strange names --- Assahole and Sheethed top the list --- so what's the fuss over.

Stuff like this is why the court system is so backlogged.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't think an outside party should have a say-so in naming a kid, but considering the mamma and the daddy couldn't agree on a name and took the issue to court, more power to the judge.

Kid's already up to a screwed-up start.

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

God Shammgod wonders what the big deal is.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/judge-orders-parents-change-name-2161184

"Messiah was the 387th most popular name for boys in the United States in 2012, with 762 babies named in honour of Jesus Christ - up from 368 in 2011."

By the way, Neveah (Heaven spelled backward) -- 39th most popular name for U.S. newborn girls in 2012.

http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi

12. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

As does Scientific Mapp.

Draft saved Draft deleted