1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Judge agrees: Duke football sucks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Matt1735, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This whole thing has been silly. But how bad is it the attorneys for Duke could claim that any Division I school would be a suitable replacement?

Shoot, there are better I-AA programs. Starting with one in Duke's state of origin, Appalachian State. Wanna schedule the Mountaineers, Louisville? Bet that school is getting hung up on for scheduling requests ...

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Stupid rule for how many 1-AA teams you can schedule in a period.

Yay! We suck so bad we can break any contract! [/duke]

4. Sam Mills 51

You can schedule all the I-AAs you wish, IJAG. But only so many wins over the subdivision schools count for bowl eligibility.

But with the number of bowls spinning wildly out of control, it won't be long before that rule will have to be reviewed to avoid sending a 4-8 team to the local Toilet Bowl.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Which pretty much makes it a rule for how many you can schedule. :p :D

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Louisville would be too scared to play Appy State this season, especially with an unproven quarterback and, well, just about everything else.

7. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I think Cantwell is the least of Louisville's worries. A defense that couldn't stop any of the Big Three Louisville high schools is problem numero uno.

I'm not sure why U of L's so worried about the Duke series. Their non-conference schedule is in need of some serious life. When Kentucky is the best team on your non-conference slate, something is wrong. And it's not like the Cards play a loaded conference schedule. They have three teams (USF, UConn and West By God) to worry about in that conference, unless they're planning on laying Syracuse-sized eggs again this season.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The same could be said for the Tarhosers. The same day ASU opens its season at LSU, UNC will host McNeese State. Seems to me to be a lot of needless travel.

9. Sam Mills 51

Well, Chapel Hill certainly isn't anxious to get Furman to travel to Kenan Stadium again. And Appalachian State would mop the floor with the Heels.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Most of the ACC stinks in football, Duke just stinks more.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Chapel Hill ain't exactly the hot bed for college football...

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Duke football, further proof of Spurrier's genius. He made them ACC champs and 10 game winners.
    I'm also surprised some Appy alum state legislator didn't try to force the D-Is in-state to face the Mounties this season.
    Does seem like they are willing to go anywhere and play anyone but can't get UNC on the schedule. Or maybe they aren't trying? I'd take a win at Michigan over kicking the crap out of the Tarheels at some neutral site like Charlotte.
    No way are they going to get UNC to travel to Appy.

Draft saved Draft deleted