1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Juco football signing day

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Dec 15, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me the difference, if any, between who's eligible to sign with four-year schools on Wednesday and those who have to wait for National Signing Day?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If they're going to enroll at a four-year school in January, they can sign on Wednesday. Applies to JuCo and high school guys alike.

Otherwise, they have to wait til Feb. 4.

3. HejiraHenry

Ah.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Y'all know if the MGCCC kicker, Brauchle, will sign with Mississippi State?

A coach told me the kid could "kick for the Denver Broncos" is he wanted to.
    Supposed to be really good, though I've never seen him play.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I believe the only ones who can sign as mid-year transfers are those who have earned their associate's degree already, as well as those who qualified out of high school (the latter is a small list).

I don't think Joe "0.0 GPA" Smith can leave right after his second season at juco and head to a four-year as a mid-year transfer.

6. HejiraHenry

Right.

7. HejiraHenry

I have not been to Hawaii, but if it is true (as Scout.com says) that he has an offer there, you'd think that would be a wee bit more appealing than Starkvegas.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

He was as good a high school kicker as I've seen in a long time. And you've gotta love a guy whose name is pronounced "broccoli."

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

If you can stomach playing a schedule for 4 years that's just a step down from "big-time" football
    At least compared to the 8 or 9 weekly slugfests you'd get from playing in the SEC or Big 10 or other BCS conferences.

For kickers, too, it's probably different. Their kicking technique means the same whether they face Weber State or Washington, New Mexico or Nebraska.
    And the Warriors did face Florida last year, and will meet vaunted Notre Dame soon.

So good luck to him. He'll enjoy college wherever he goes, I suppose.

10. HejiraHenry

Back to the core question, do December players sign an LOI, or is there another document used in its stead (perhaps a Letter of Agreement), with the player then signing the actual LOI in February?

The question came up here today and I was stumped.

11. Hillman

Hillman New Member

Here's a press release issued by Baylor which signed one juco, who will enroll for the spring, on Wednesday. It uses the term "National Letter of Intent."

Briles Adds Junior College Lineman
    Danny Watkins signs National Letter of Intent with Baylor.

Dec. 17, 2008

WACO, Texas - Baylor has received a signed National Letter of Intent from Butte [Calif.] College offensive lineman Danny Watkins to play football, head coach Art Briles announced Wednesday.

A Canadian who has played just two seasons of organized football, Watkins was a unanimous All-NorCal Conference selection at tackle for Butte in 2008. The 6-5 Watkins is rated No. 38 on Rivals.com's junior college top 100 list.

Watkins will enroll at Baylor for the spring semester and go through spring drills with the Bears.

"We are very excited that Danny's a Baylor Bear," Briles said. "He fills a definite need for us, and what we like about him is his intensity, physicality and energy. Plus he's mature; he's 24 years old and understands proper paths."

Watkins led Butte to a perfect 11-0 season and the California Community College Athletic Association championship earlier this month, a 17-9 win over Mt. San Antonio College.

"He's gonna be a heck of a player and a heck of a teammate," Briles said.

Watkins, a 24-year-old who grew up playing hockey, was a part-time firefighter in Kelowna, British Columbia, when interest in the fire academy at Butte College brought him to the Oroville, Calif., community college prior to the 2007 season. He tried out for and made the Roadrunners football team and played all 22 games the past two seasons.

12. everything you could want to know here (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/nli).

Draft saved Draft deleted