1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Juan Williams Fired from NPR

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I would question his air marshal skills. Who were the 9-11 hijackers decked out in Muslim garb?

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I'm just disappointed Brian Kilmeade still has a job.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes.

If you are a black man and know what it's like to have people assume you are a mugger and cross the street when you are walking their way, I think you should know better than to be afraid of people just because of how they choose to dress.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Absolutely could not have said it any better.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Except Jesse Jackson was allowed to say that, with no apparent penalty.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Anyone is allowed to say it. I'm not aware of Jesse getting paid by NPR.

7. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I guess Juan Williams just didn't realize or respect the responsibilities of the Black Man's Burden.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Jesse only gets paid when he shakes somebody down.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If being in the "opinion business" is a blanket defense here, what happened to Helen Thomas?

10. Crash

Crash Active Member

First and foremost, I think this was a culmination of a lot of things for NPR, which had already told Williams to stop using his affiliation with NPR when he appeared on Fox News and had (at least according to NPR's EIC) already dealt with multiple ethical problems with Williams. So while I'm not sure if NPR was right to fire Williams for this and this alone, it changes the dynamics of it when you look at the full scope of events. If Williams was on his last chance as it appears, then he's an idiot for saying something this inflammatory.

Second, while I'm not yet sure how I feel about Williams' firing, I do find it slightly amusing that there is a vocal conservative response to this when there was almost nothing to be found from leading conservatives when a GOP Senate candidate had his private security arrest a blogger/reporter.

Third, when you preface a statement with, "Bill, now you know I'm not a bigot," chances are you're getting ready to say something that is going to make you sound like a bigot.

11. Crash

Crash Active Member

This brings up another point that a writer from Salon brought up this morning. If organizations are going to fire people for making blanket, politically incorrect statements about Jews, then it's quite a double standard if organizations aren't going to fire people for making blanket, politically incorrect statements about Muslims.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The fog lifts:

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-juan-williams-20101022,0,4294425.story

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.