1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Juan Gonzalez coming back???

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ColbertNation, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

ST. LOUIS (AP) - Juan Gonzalez is trying a comeback with the St. Louis Cardinals.
    After sitting out the past two seasons, the two-time AL MVP will be one of 26 non-roster players invited to St. Louis' spring training camp this month.
    The 38-year-old Gonzalez last played regularly in 2003 when he had 24 home runs and 70 RBIs in 324 at-bats for the Texas Rangers. He had one at-bat with Cleveland in 2005 before injuring his hamstring.

Two seasons? I guess it took that long to get all of the steroids out of his system.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Does it get cold in St. Louis?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hey, he's 45 pounds thinner and in great shape.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I still thank L. Ron Hubbard every day Juan Gone turned down that 8-year/$140 million contract with the Tigers. I believe they'd still be paying him had he agreed.

One good thing outta all this, his period blood will mesh well with Cardinal red.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Now that's fucking funny.

I love unvarnished, pure fanboy anger.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

The Cardinals could use someone to take one swing on Opening Day.

7. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

They need someone experienced with a syringe. I heard Albert just isn't handy with the needle.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

If Juan Gone returns, and if he somehow gets suspended the first 15 games of the season as seems to be apropos for steroid abusers, his 2008 career would actually last 14 days longer than his last season.

9. Rick Ankiel is very excited about this.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Juando is a barking dog.

He's walking (as opposed to running, or at least jogging) proof that 'roids do not enhance your work ethic. We'll see if that has improved any in 3 years out of the game.

11. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

The key is that he was invited to spring training at the request of Pujols. They'd invite a serial rapist to spring training if it means keeping Albert around a few more years. I don't recall Juan Gone playing much defense. Perhaps he can now that he's a little thinner. But I'd guess that he'll be nothing more than a pinch hitter if he even makes the team.

12. The stock that I hold in specimen bottle companies just went through the roof.

Draft saved Draft deleted