1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JSOnline limits access to investigative story to subscribers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mdpoppy, May 18, 2009.

1. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/45155287.html

A bold move, but one I like. It will be available for free later in the week, too ...

2. The Star Tribune has started doing something very similar. Their bigger, more in-depth pieces are only available in the print edition, which I think is an awesome idea, partly for a selfish reason. When they were available online for free, I'd often ruin my Sunday ritual of reading the paper while watching a ballgame by spending an hour or so on the Web site (just couldn't wait for those investigative, special stories).

Funny thing, too: The past few weeks, it's been much more difficult to find the Star Tribune on racks in convenience stores. I mean I've had to hit three or four different stores. Perhaps it's just my imagination, but I don't think so. I think folks are completely OK with paying a little money for such high-quality work. Realistically, why should a 100-plus-inch story that took six months to investigate (and thousands of dollars in employee hours) be given away for free?

Draft saved Draft deleted