1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JRC tax shenanigans - isolated incident or DEVIOUS plot!?!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Wonderlic, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

I recently received a letter from the good folks at the Department of Treasury informing me that the numbers I submitted on my 2006 federal income tax return are incorrect and that I now owe somewhere around an additional $1,000. (Yiiipppppeeeeeeee!)

APPARENTLY, my annual income for 2006 as recently reported to the IRS by Journal Register Company, the only company I worked for that year, is a good $10,000 more than what I actually made.

First of all, just the thought that JRC would have paid me (or anyone, really) the kind of money they're reporting having paid me is ludicrous. LUDICROUS.

Second of all, I'm staring at my W2 and 1040 form from 2006 right now, and everything matches up between what my W2 says and what was reported to the IRS. Oh yeah, and I had a tax professional look over the information before I filed, just to make sure everything was kosher.

The correct amount is stated on my W2 and I'm REALLY good about keeping all kinds of documents, in large part for fear of the man trying to stick it to me, so I also have the majority of my paycheck stubs from that year to back up the much lesser amount stated on the W2.

I'm not really all that worried about successfully appealing the IRS, although maybe I should be. Here's this wonderful nugget from the eight page bill/document they sent, under misidentified income:

"If any of the income shown on this notice is not yours, send us the name, address, and social security number of the person who received the income."

ARE YOU SHITTING ME!?! SERIOUSLY!?!

I'm just wondering, what with JRC's stock now worth one cent a share, if there is any possible benefit the company could reap by reporting inflated (and incorrect) payments to employees? Perhaps recording larger expenses in employees salaries when the money was going elsewhere? Or maybe money went to higher-ups in the form of bonuses and they're trying to skirt the tax laws by sprinkling that extra income around to the peasants? I'm sure there are plenty of people who wouldn't think twice or have the documents to back up their case and would just pay what the IRS is asking. Maybe JRC is counting on that.

Who knows?

I realize there's a good chance I'm paranoid and this is simply an honest accounting glitch, but having worked for that company for nearly two years, I wouldn't put a damn thing past those people.

Any other JRC survivors (or current prisoners) experience anything similar? ???

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Send them a photocopy of your W-2 showing the income that you reported on your tax forms and then say the person that received the income you didn't make was: Bob Jelenic with the JRC headquarters address.

3. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Right. Here's the social security number:

666 66 6666

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Well, what do you expect from JRC? They can't even spell the names correctly in the local 6-year-old youth hockey league.

Seriously, I would think that somebody just made an error. Make your appeal.

Draft saved Draft deleted