1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JRC considers selling New England papers; employees likely rejoice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Aug 28, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Moving on the wire ...

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Newspaper publisher Journal Register Co. said Monday that it is exploring the sale of 26 Massachusetts and Rhode Island publications because of slower growth and because it wants to focus on its more profitable online ventures.
    The Yardley, Pa.-based company, which owns 393 papers, called the newspaper market ààextremely challengingáá and said its online operations generate a higher return on capital, profits and cash flow.
    Among the Journal Register papers that could be sold are The Herald News in Fall River, Mass.; the Taunton Daily Gazette in Taunton, Mass.; The Call in Woonsocket, R.I.; The Times in Pawtucket, R.I.; and the Kent County Daily Times in West Warwick, R.I.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: JRC plans to sell New England papers; employees, rejoice!

Even the Taunton Daily Gazette?!?

3. Keystone

Keystone Member

Gee, Dino will have a new greatest boss ever. ;D

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

FUCK!!!! They're not selling any of their CT papers.

Fucking douchefucker Jelenic.

You know why growth is slower, douchebag? Because you have slashed and burned your product to nothing and given the local folks no fucking reason at all to buy the rags.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It doesn't help matters that full time JRC employees can file for unemployment while working for Bobby J...

6. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

We know better. We're concentrating our "creative energies" on our other endeavors.

www.animalsex.com

Hey, wait!! I just saw I have two new PM's, from Don Johnson and Harrison Ford!! Better go check 'em out... I have a feeling they might be something I might really enjoy ... ;)

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If the right people land Fall River and Taunton, they can kick some ass with those papers -- especially with Taunton, now that Liberty, er, Gatehouse bought the Brockton Pooperprise.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow dog, that's a little scary you have links to shit like that.

9. Liberation Day for Taunton and Fall River. Amazing! But what's stopping Liberty from swooping in there and cornering the market on SEMass? The only things left will be the New Bedford S-T and the Cape Cod Times

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Why is it that seemingly intelligent executives (I know, I know, oxymoron) have yet to figure this out?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

'Cause it doesn't benefit THEM, near-term.

Next

12. lono

lono Active Member

Shame on you, BYH! You should know better!

It's fucking fuckbasket, fucktard, douchefucker Jelenic.

Draft saved Draft deleted