1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JRC, Bob Jelenic and Aaron Bracy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Derek_W, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Derek_W

Derek_W Guest

About two years/a year and a half ago, there was a long thread about the JRC, and specifically all the garbage that's happened at The Trentonian. I'd find the thread and link to it, but I'm too lazy, and I'm guessing most peope here probably remember it anyway. I think it was 30 plus pages long.

Anyway, the thread kind of fizzled out, but I'm curious about what's happened since then. Have any noticeable changes occured after Jelenic died? What is the state of JRC right now? There was a heated debate about the new sports editor who had just been hired, Aaron Bracy, and how long he would last and whether he'd improve the paper at all. Anyone know if he's still there? This site (http://aaronswritingservice.com/) would seem to indicate no. Who's the current sports editor and did they ever hire an executive editor?

2. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I know Aaron's doing freelance work in the Phila/NJ area ... heard from him a short time ago ... no idea what's going on at the Trentonian

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Actually, 34 pages...

Here ya go:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/36706/

4. lapdog

lapdog Member

JRC went bankrupt shortly after Jelenic's death (unfortunately he was not around to see it), the second major newspaper chain he managed to steer straight into the ground during his illustrious career.

The chain has closed a number of weeklies and small dailies, but the company continues to function under the direction of the bankruptcy court. The internal insanity has slacked off since the flunkies along the chain of command are more worried about their next paychecks than they are about junior high school softball agate.

I lost track of Bracy so I don't know the exact sequence of events, but I believe, as predicted by many, he was let go last fall, before either Jelenic died or the chain went bankrupt.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bracy left on his own accord, and The Trentonian is doing well. Like every other paper in the United States, it can be better with more resources, but that said, advertising has done very well the last 12 months.

6. I can confirm Songbird's post, and the current sports editor is Matthew Osborne. Good guy, good editor.

Draft saved Draft deleted