1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JRC announces layoffs; release the hounds!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Sep 27, 2006.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

E&P sucks the dicks of publishers. It gave fellatio to Frank Shepherd while he was fistfucking his chain with The Oakland Press and licking his fingers clean.

E&P is a dinosaur, helplessly watching tiny mammals devour its surroundings.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

E&P also gave the Centre Daily Times a good ol' blowjob a couple years ago when it started a student-oriented daily to compete with Penn State's Collegian. Blue for all intense purposes was done in 9 months.

3. lapdog

lapdog Member

It's not totally meaningless. It ain't the Pulitzer Prize, but somebody's got to win it, and they did. And, of course, JRC couldn't give a fuck less.

Although, to give fair warning, none other than (gurgle!!) Rob Parker took some kind of third place sports column award. (Actually ahead of 4 entrants, if the numbers are correct.)

If I entered a columnist contest and finished behind Rob Parker, I'd throw my fucking computer out the window and then I'd stick my head in the oven.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Looks to me like the OP won very few awards in comparison to past performance. The Flint Journal seems to be the new power in Class B.

I had forgotten how humorous the comments were for these categories: "Clean design. Fun read." That is deep.

And if anyone wants a secret for winning a first in these contests, here's a tip: Do a section about the future. The judges eat that up with a fork and spoon.

"The future, Mr. Gittes. The future!"

5. ned racine

ned racine Member

rob parker is the worst columnist of a supposed major daily....and i hope the OP does not broom either Langlois or Caputo...they are both hard on the teams..although Langlois would love to blow Izzo and Caputo still has Randy Smiths jizz on his face...that said Caputo still goes after Millen more than anyone...

6. lapdog

lapdog Member

Langlois is gone.

http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/keith_langlois.html

Just as an extra thumb in the eye on the way out, the Hillbilly Highschool management is making sure to assign him to every junior-varsity girls' volleyball match in the metro area as long as he remains on staff.

Sure, you've got a Major League Baseball pennant race coming down to the final day of the season 10 miles away, but the readers are more interested in columns about Podunk Prep's big showdown with St. Bendover Catholic Academy Friday night. Yeah, you bet. It's what everybody on the street is talking about.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Dyepaack, read that original post. It didn't just say the Oakland Press. It said the OP and cluster papers, like the News Herald, Chelsea Standard.. smaller weeklies too -- although I know it's not much to you.
    The JRC papers did well in their classes. Although the former Mellus chain (News Herald and downriver papers) got dinged for 20 of the layoffs. They have one kid making nine bucks an hour working for them, with a generous 25 buck a month car allowance....
    AS for the link to Langlois' hire, is that not El Sid in the lower left of the photo? Caputo is a fat clown. If he's the face of the OP Sports Department, then it is in serious trouble. LAnglois, IMHO, is the best columnist in SE Michigan... certainly better than those paid 10 times his salary....
    [​IMG]

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

In all but a few places, JRC is not very concerned about circulation losses. With some exceptions they've bought smaller papers that nobody else really wanted in shrinking old towns, and they didn't pay that much because buyers and sellers alike knew the town and the paper were probably in irreversible decline. Which would scare most companies that focus on growth, but not JRC. They'll squeeze as much profit as possible out of the place knowing that in general no matter how many readers stop buying it, there is no real alternative for some advertisers, especially auto dealers, so for the most part the ad money will continue no matter how thin the news product gets. This is why they do not appear especially freaked when a Troy, N.Y., shrinks from 42K circulation to 15K or a New Britain, Conn., shrinks from 35K to 12K since they took over. By the time the paper has become virtually worthless, they will have sucked out enough money to cover the purchase price two or three times over. JRC hastens the inevitable, and in needlessly mean-spirited fashion, but understand that most of these papers did not have especially bright futures before JRC came along. If they had potential, the owners would have sold them to a decent company that would not instantly dismantle something that took decades to build.

9. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

Finally, someone who understands our management style.

[​IMG]

E-mail me a resume, Frank. We may have a place in management for a forward thinker like you.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Just explaining to people who erroneously believe huge circulation drops are an indication of things not going according to plan and that there might be hope for new ownership. I understand how they work and why, I'm not endorsing it.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

One guy at the News-Herald sports department also worked at the local Home Depot part-time, at least he did a year or so ago.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Work at Home Depot... live in a box... the life of a JRC employee...

Draft saved Draft deleted