1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JRC announces layoffs; release the hounds!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wickedwritah, Sep 27, 2006.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

No wonder why people are fleeing the sinking ship known as the USS Oakland Press.

From the wire:

2. Bob_Jelloneck

Bob_Jelloneck Member

All is well.

[​IMG]

We're exploring new outlets to cluster our synergy.

[​IMG]

We're go at throttle-up.

[​IMG]

Our dedicated leadership is gathering to plan our next move:

[​IMG]

3. lono

lono Active Member

Fuckabuncha JRC. :mad:

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Am I the only one slightly disturbed by seeing a picture of the Challenger blow-up? Not trying to be sanctimonious, but it's parallel to putting a 9/11 WTC photo up there (on a smaller level, of course).

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Challenger pic was OTT, but I love B_J's shtick.

I'd think being laid off rom JRC would be akin to a mercy killing myself.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Keep in mind that it's not just the OP... no, no, no... they have a few other dailes and a ton of weekly and bi-weekly papers.
    So everyone has a chance to get screwed

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Eleven years ago, I was laid off by JRC...with predictable results for my paper. What disturbed me most was that there were three openings at New Haven (I was unmarried at the time and willing to move), but unlike most companies which try to accomodate laid-off workers if they're willing to move, I was SOL.
    I was rehired 4 1/2 months later, when a spot opened after a newsroom shakeup (in which possibly the best ME I ever worked with was fired). For the return of a full-time job and health care, I gave up a great part-time (probable eventual to full-time) opportunity - a move dictated by personal finances, but a chance I regret not taking. It took me 9 more years to escape JRC's clutches.
    If the JRC turk tells you to come to Jelenic's office (and bring your playbook), put as much distance between that paper and yourself as you possibly can, even at the cost of some short-term financial pain.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So, how long before the company collapses at this point?

Revenue is drying up, stock price is sinking ...

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

This thread is 18 hours old and no BYH?
    I'm depressed... (where are those 35 pills...)

10. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Check your sock drawer, Slappy. You know how those pills can slip through your fingers like potential touchdown passes.

11. lapdog

lapdog Member

You mean like the SE and lead sports columnist abruptly quitting in the last 10 days?

The new JRC hatchet man they've moved into the EE's job there is cleaning the place out with a flamethrower.

Since the Lions beat writer was a right-hand buddy and personal hire of the SE, he'll likely be gone in short order, too. They've also had turnover on the Tigers and Red Wings beats within the last few months. If the bush-league harry-highschool coverage philosophy they've adopted continues to mushroom, they'll just quit covering anything above high school. They'll probably assign all their major beat writers to cover junior high girls jumping jacks competitions.

WOTS is the 82 job cuts announced in yesterday's PR release is but the tip of the iceberg - they'll probably dump 200 jobs cluster-wide within a year or so, mainly through predatory attrition (make things so intolerable for employees that they flee in terror).

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Wait. I knew about the SE leaving, but which columnist who escaped?

Draft saved Draft deleted