1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jr. to wear 42

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackyJackBN, Apr 4, 2007.

1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Carl Crawford--now there's a GREAT pick. Dontrelle Willis too, although he's a pitcher. Sabathia should wear Don Newcombe's number.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Why is Crawford a great pick? Because he's black and happens to be a superstar?
    Willis and Sabathia have both spoken out about the lack of black players in MLB. I think teams should focus on picking players who represent Robinson on an off the field first, minority second, otherwise, we get players like Milton Bradley wearing No. 42.

3. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Good point, Rhody. I was thinking of the baseball angle. Crawford has great speed, is a very tough out, and a solid fielder like Robinson. Solidly built like Jackie too.

Sabathia, like Newcombe, doesn't take the best care of himself off the field. That was my point.

Finally, I believe it's the lack of African-American players they have spoken out about, not black players. There's a pretty good number of black Latinos that aren't included in this category. Otherwise, for example, Adrian Beltre would have been a logical choice for the Mariners instead of Arthur Rhodes to wear 42. I've probably missed something, but the only subjects I know of that Arthur has spoken up about are earrings and Omar Visquel.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Delmon Young is better pick .

More names have come down from MLB of who will wear 42

Det - Gary Sheffield

TB Delmon Young

Oak - Milton Bradley

Sea - Carl Everett

Nats - D Young

Mets - L Milledge

5. Rhody31

That's funny.
    At least, I hope it's a joke.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

To add to the list - Bonds will wear No. 42 for the Giants.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I'm still shocked MLB is actually doing something right for a change. Oh, right, it wasn't their idea, it had to come from one of the players.

8. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Jeez, Boom, I was having a pretty good day despite watching Harden trounce the M's last night, and you have to go and bring up Carl Everett. NO LONGER A MARINER! (Of course you know that, but it feels good to shout it.)

9. Boom_70

What's funny about it? I don't get the joke. The list is on MLB.com

10. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Fixed.

And congrats to Lantaur for making the 42nd post on this thread.

11. Rhody31

Where can I find this list?

12. Boom_70

MLB.com / news

Draft saved Draft deleted