1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jr. to wear 42

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackyJackBN, Apr 4, 2007.

1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6644596

I see the commish is inviting players on other teams to do the same.

I like it, as long as Barry Balco doesn't wear 42.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

April 6 will mark 20 years since the Al Campanis interview on "Nightline." I'll have to pick the right thread to tell the story of that night from my perspective.

But anyway, good for Jr.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think Mariano Rivera should do it, too.

4. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Oh, I think he will.

But seriously, should be a starting player on a given team, and not a pitcher, right? And what about the black Latin players? Probably not; maybe they'll start wearing Clemente's number on a given day.

5. It will be interesting to see who wears 42.

Mariano Rivera is Panamanian and not African-American and I've seen some articles in recent years bemoaning the lack of African-Americans in the game. For instance - the Boston Globe ran an article in 2004 about the Red Sox not having any "black" players in the starting line-up even though Manny was starting in left, Ortiz was the DH and Pedro was the starter in the game.

Not trying to start anything here. Just saying it will be interesting to see who wears 42.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm not saying anything new by saying there is a subtext to Jackie Robinson opening the door for black players -- his opening the door for all minorities.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It's a shame Cincy won't be home on April 15. The Reds really should do something to honor Pee Wee Reese and Jackie Robinson sometime this month, since it was in Cincy that Robinson got heckled, leading Kentuckian Reese to walk over to his teammate and put his hand on Jackie's shoulder.

That moment was just as big as Robinson's first game. Cincinnati should recognize that moment.

Perhaps there's a Reds writer who can pitch this idea in a blog or column. Or I can do it, if they'd like.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I agree with the above poster, just don't let Bonds where it.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Barry Bonds pretty much said the same thing a few years ago - that baseball was becoming a sport made up of mostly latinos and white ball players.

I wonder if Jeff Kent will wear 42 for the Dodgers.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I think they should let all the managers wear 42.

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I think some didn't get Ragu's joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted