1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

JR! Mobilize!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Aug 4, 2007.

1. I express some dissatisfaction with the way the country is run so I must be a communist sympathizer. Good argument, Yawn ... I mean Junkie.

Obviously not everyone is fat and lazy - but our best and brightest are vastly outnumbered by the poor and uneducated.

And what jobs are we going to have left for those who do work really hard? Chances are, they'll be under-employed while high-skilled jobs go to those countries that are training their workers by any means necessary (not an endorsement.)

In general, I think our country is complacent, especially the government. We're too self-centered to look at the big picture. Too busy passing pork and launching into billion-dollar wars than educating, preparing and yes, taking care of our own people here.

There's a lot of schools in my state that can't afford their own books. We don't take care of our own, yet there's people on here crying about how other countries don't help us. We don't see it as a priority, why should they?

Why should other countries have to help us when a hurricane knocks out New Orleans? We're supposedly one of the richest countries in the world. Add to that the fact that a lot of the damage could have been prevented by a better levy system. We didn't give a damn then and judging by the government's continuing under-reaction, we still don't.

Plenty of countries offered help in the wake of 9/11, but Bush fucked up any sympathy they had for us. "Hey, you want to help? Go to war with us against Iraq ..."

And sure, we give aid to a lot of countries. I have a hard time believing it's all benevolent. Giving creates good will - which open the doors to McDonalds and a host of other billion-dollar companies that fund our politicians.

We really should spend more time and energy in this country - improving our weakest link.

2. I'm the pompous, ego-driven condescending one - at least from what I hear from you old-timers. :-*

3. Wow, sorry you can't find anyone on this board to meet your intellectual capacity.

I was merely stating the threat countries like China pose to our economy, which in my feeble mind is a fact.

Don't see where I was endorsing it either way, but you argued that somehow I was making it "sound as if countries like China, whose people mass produce goods in sweatshops for pennies a day are doing it the right way." That's the whole love it or leave it, you're with us or against us argument.

Your dismissal of that threat is representative of the blinders of arrogance I'm talking about: They're evil, they won't win. We're the good guys, we'll persevere.

You're being just as dismissive of me as you are other countries who don't necessarily see things the American way.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I interrupt this pissing match to bring you this:

Please stand and remove your toques. :)

5. I don't know man, just responding to what I think you're implying. Sarcasm is quick to the point and concise.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You'd never see the crowd at an American sporting event sing "The Star Spangled Banner" with the same brio.

7. Never?

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Very rarely.

Watch Hockey Night In Canada. The fans in Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary loudly and proudly sing along with Oh Canada. By the time the song ends, you have goose bumps.

9. Universally, every city, every game?

Do fans do that at Blue Jays games, too? Been to an Expos game. Don't remember the anthem there being any different than anyplace else.

You're old enough to remember the National Anthem at Chicago Stadium, correct?

10. I hear Italy's crowds sing the White Stripes' Seven Nation Army pretty well.

11. The contents of my soda almost went spewing onto my computer screen when I read this.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Lyman, is, um, (I didn't think I'd ever say this), right.

The Edmonton sing-along was copied from the Vancouver Canucks playoff singer, a professional opera singer (HC went to grad school with him), who, by chance one game, just got the crowd to sing along. They were the ones who started it.

You won't ever see it at a Leafs game because they can't seem to make the playoffs and the crowd is too fuckin' corporate.

But if you don't like the traditional, here's a little faux Hendrix Oh Canada.

Draft saved Draft deleted