1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journolist Will Be Shut Down

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jun 25, 2010.

1. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

A question about the "JournoList," is all the accounted for members opinion/commentary types or are they actual supposed objective journalists?

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Looks like mainly opinion folks:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201007200006

Breaking! Liberal journalists talked to each other before signing an open letter criticizing a terrible debate!!

July 20, 2010 8:45 am ET by Julie Millican

Another day, another right-wing media freak out. Today, the right is in a tizzy over a Daily Caller exclusive scoop that "documents show media plotting to kill stories about Rev. Jeremiah Wright." Except, of course, their "documents" show no such thing.

The Daily Caller purports to have obtained copies of emails from the "Journolist" listserv, which they report is "comprised of several hundred liberal journalists, as well as like-minded professors and activists." Their big, breaking story exposes that some liberal journalists and a professor were outraged by an April 2008 Democratic Presidential primary debate -- a debate that was widely criticized as being "specious and gossipy." As you may recall, during that debate Obama was asked questions such as, "Do you think Reverend Wright loves America as much as you do?"; "How do you convince Democrats" that not wearing an American flag lapel pin "would not be a vulnerability?"; and "Can you explain" your "relationship" with Bill Ayers, a question that was literally suggested to moderator George Stephanopoulos by right-wing radio hosts.

The debate was, in a word, ridiculous. And numerous media figures agreed. The Daily Caller highlights portions of the purported Journolist emails which showed several participants discussing how best to frame and word an open letter to ABC News condemning the debate. Each of the media figures mentioned in the Daily Caller report was an opinion columnist or a blogger. Hardly the stuff of a mainstream media conspiracy, though the Caller desperately tried to paint it as such. They specifically said that journalists from Time and Politico were involved in the discussion, but the article provides absolutely no evidence to back this up.

So, yes, it appears that the big scandal is that liberal journalists and professors talked to each other about how to frame a publically released letter to ABC News. Stop the presses!

Expanding on the stupidity of the Daily Caller report is the fact that many of these same journalists were
    very clear and very open about their displeasure with the ABC news debate at the time.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

4. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

More read meat from those liberals on JournoList, as they tear apart ... Keith Olbermann?

http://dailycaller.com/2010/07/23/journolisters-offended-by-keith-olbermanns-%E2%80%98misogynistic%E2%80%99-%E2%80%98predictable%E2%80%99-and-%E2%80%98pompous%E2%80%99-show/

Conservatives are shocked that "journalists" don't like Olbermann.

5. sportsguydave

Glad to see that smarmy little punk Tucker Carlson has slithered out of the ooze again. Unfortunately for him, most folks' lasting memory of him will be Jon Stewart calling him a dick the night Crossfire jumped the shark.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Good thing conservative "journalists" would never stoop to partisanship.

Oh.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/scocca/archive/2010/07/23/how-will-tucker-carlson-explain-the-journolist-scandal-to-his-fellow-conservative-journalists.aspx

Tucker Carlson is shocked by such behavior. Tucker Carlson is a veteran, after all, of the Weekly Standard. How do the professionals at the Weekly Standard approach the political process, in their role as detached journalists?

On June 18, 2007, the first group disembarked in Juneau from the Holland America Line’s M.S. Oosterdam, and went to the governor’s mansion, a white wooden Colonial house with six two-story columns, for lunch. The contingent featured three of The Weekly Standard ’s top writers: William Kristol, the magazine’s Washington-based editor, who is also an Op-Ed columnist for the Times and a regular commentator on “Fox News Sunday”; Fred Barnes, the magazine’s executive editor and the co-host of “The Beltway Boys,” a political talk show on Fox News; and Michael Gerson, the former chief speechwriter for President Bush and a Washington Post columnist.

By the time the Weekly Standard pundits returned to the cruise ship, Paulette Simpson said, “they were very enamored of her.” In July, 2007, Barnes wrote the first major national article spotlighting Palin, titled “The Most Popular Governor,” for The Weekly Standard. Simpson said, “That first article was the result of having lunch.” Bitney agreed: “I don’t think she realized the significance until after it was all over. It got the ball rolling.”

The other journalists who met Palin offered similarly effusive praise: Michael Gerson called her “a mix between Annie Oakley and Joan of Arc.” The most ardent promoter, however, was Kristol, and his enthusiasm became the talk of Alaska’s political circles. According to Simpson, Senator Stevens told her that “Kristol was really pushing Palin” in Washington before McCain picked her. Indeed, as early as June 29th, two months before McCain chose her, Kristol predicted on “Fox News Sunday” that “McCain’s going to put Sarah Palin, the governor of Alaska, on the ticket.” He described her as “fantastic,” saying that she could go one-on-one against Obama in basketball, and possibly siphon off Hillary Clinton’s supporters. He pointed out that she was a “mother of five” and a reformer. “Go for the gold here with Sarah Palin,” he said.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

For years, I have cared about -- and tried to explain to friends -- how if there was a vast liberal media conspiracy, I never saw it in my 18 years of news meetings or whatever. How a lot of reporters and editors are liberal, but the corporations that put out the paper often aren't. And I admit I still gnash my teeth when Rush Limbaugh refers to it as the "state-run media," and "mainstream media" is said with the same tone as somebody might say "the Nazi party."

So I have cared about that, but increasingly I don't for the simple and sad reason that Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Levin and friends have convinced a lot of people that this conspiracy exists and that horse is far, far out of the barn (this isn't new, of course, it's simply a matter of degree based on the proliferation of conservative talk radio, television and the blogosphere). Things like the comments on this Journolist don't help; they'll be considered "proof" of this conspiracy, not some people kibitzing back and forth.

So at this point, there's no convincing many people otherwise -- Rush and Sean said it, so it must be so -- and there never will be, and we in the business just have to live with it.

8. sportsguydave

Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, his little buddy Levin and the rest of their motley crew are boobs leading boobs. They offer their listeners simplistic solutions, so they don't have to be bothered with the intellectual challenge of thinking for themselves,. They exist in a nice little hermetically sealed echo chamber where they all fellate each other constantly and dissenting views aren't allowed.

The whole "liberal media" thing has kind of lost its steam over the years...kind of like "political correctness," which some have watered down by applying it to everything they don't agree with. Just let these folks have their canard, and move on.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

This is a far cry from actively seeking ways to run interference for the Journolist's candidate of choice.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Read letters to the editor in any local paper, and you can see buzzwords and talking points repeated verbatim and word-for-word diatribes right off the radio from the day/night before.

11. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Pretty socially liberal on a lot of things, but I lean right. I make no bones about that. I've asked fellow "conservatives" why, if the media is so biased, they don't start getting journalism degrees and start fixing it. You would think I propositioned them for a night at the RNC's S&M club.

Almost every reporter I ever worked with leaned left, most made no bones about it, and yeah, a lot of the story ideas they had pertained to that world view because that's how their view of the world looked. I don't think that's bad. In my own far-from-the-beltway world, I've only had one case where I could say was a blatant case of liberal bias, that's when a reporter was secretly working for a campaign she was also doing covering a bit. My highly liberal editor found out, she got taken off anything remotely political for good.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This also doubles as an excellent description of Olbermann and Maddow's shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted