1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalist's son crashes $180,000 car

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, May 26, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dad is an automotive writer who'd been loaned a 2011 Porsche 997 Turbo. His son drove it into a garage door.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/car-life/cheney/globe-journalists-son-crashes-180000-porsche/article1574334/

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I read that a couple days ago. That kid is example 1,284,214,962 why I would never have children.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm sure we all borrowed a car without permission when we were that age.
    However, most of us didn't attempt to borrow a $180k car without permission.
    And most of us weren't stupid enough to crash it.

4. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Cameron Frye sympathizes.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Bueller . . .

Bueller . . .

Bueller . . .

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The summer before my sophomore year of high school one of my friends convinced his girlfriend to let him drive her father's BMW convertible. I don't remember the year of the car, but it was an old car and was in perfect condition. It was a two-seater and he drove it out of her house and went down the street, then he hit a pothole and dropped the transmission as another one of my friends and I stood there watching in horror.

I'll say this... It kept me from ever taking out my parents' car.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In 1985 I crashed my cousin's Honda Elite 250 into his brother's brand new Nissan truck.
    I had been drinking, and smoking pot.
    And coke.

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

That's a fun story. I wonder if he really liked the car enough to drool over it that much, or "massive BJ" was a part of the deal with Porche.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The Porsche dude sounded like a great guy.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Really fun read. The Porsche guy probably got at least $10K in free advertising out of the article, but to say he was cool about it would be a massive understatement.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

On behalf of all of the people of Earth, I thank you.

:)

12. Goes with the territory for the automakers. I knew a couple of guys who did auto reviews regularly - flown all over the world to test drive cars - but the play they get in newspapers more than compensates for that.

In a previous life, I did some travel writing. Fully funded trips with all the bells and whistles. I talked to a rep about the gamble they take of bad reviews, but he said they'll take their chances because they do everything to make it fantastic. Was hard to argue, and I wrote a glowing piece that ran as a centre piece across a national chain. Guy equated that coverage to about 100gs of advertising for about 5gs of expenses

Draft saved Draft deleted