1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists sleeping with their subjects

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Great story. Editor was right to get in your ass but I would've told him love is where you find it. As long a you were not covering her or her team, I wouldn't have a problem as an editor. Obviously if you were covering her or the team, your days on that beat were done.

3. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Talk about a conflict of interest. :eek:

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think my editor was disappointed I didn't pursue it more, at least initially. I made the mistake of going on and on about how cool she was and when she called me to tell me she liked the story, he said, "So are you going to call her again?" and I said, "Well, she's coming in to do a camp so we'll see if she calls..."

The whole thing freaked me out. Not to the level where I considered not seeing her when she called, but I was freaked out that people would find out and I'd get fired. Keep in mind, I was 24 at the time. My editor telling me I was doing nothing wrong was something I really needed to hear.

I'm still stunned that the editor never said anything (that I know of) to anybody I worked with. At this place if he had said anything, it would have gone around the office in a matter of seconds.

Years later, I told the story to a friend in the business and he was laughing so hard, because he, like a lot of the people here :D was envisioning a Lobo-Dydek hybrid. He called me the next day and said, "I looked her up on the WNBA website and she's actually kind of cute..."

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Still a great story. One to tell the grandson. LOL

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

At one of my early stops, we had an attractive young female reporter covering high schools. One evening, the sports editor was watching the local major league baseball team play on TV, and as they sometimes do when the game is dragging, they turned the cameras to the stands, specifically, a couple making out. The SE recognized one of our area HS football coaches as the man, and a few seconds later recognized the attractive young female he was kissing -- you guessed it, our reporter.

She kept her job but was reassigned to news. Not too long after that, she married the coach and came back to sports covering a major college program.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You and me both.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Catherine was a great reporter, but we had to take her off the horseracing beat.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

I was at a couple of places where the horse racing guy had to be replace because of an affair...with a bookie.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Couldn't help but notice that she mentioned in her profile of Gallagher "that he had recently been named 'Greatest Frontman of All Time' by British music magazine Q."

The takeaway is that Q obviously has zero credibility. Greatest frontman? Lol, as if.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"Q" must be British for "Slate."

12. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted