1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists, lies and message boards

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lipstix, Feb 6, 2010.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yeah it did.

But at an attempt to close the barn door after the horse is long gone, in additon to questions about building one's self up, it's also a question of our integrity as journalists, even the lowly sports scribes we be. If we're gonna manufacture glowing posts on a message board, what else might be manufactured about our work, readers must be asking.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Since I have unintentionally set this thread off course, I think I should answer the part of the original post that piques my curiosity.

In my time on the InterWebs, I have occasionally come across people who, upon the surface, seem to have high integrity and respected opinions regarding their field.

Yet, one part of their 'persona' greatly conflicted with the rest. Whether it be a highly unbelievable and likely fictitious 'relationship' or the ongoing support of someone who does not share their level of integrity, this part of their persona, in my eyes, dragged down the rest he/she had to offer.

Everything that person put forward was now in question.

And then you start to wonder... does this person have a real relationship in the real world? What would this other person think about his/her spouse spending all this time on the internet elaborating on a fictitious relationship with some other person? I can't imagine it would make that other person feel too comfortable, if not wonder about his/her mate's intentions and/or level of sanity.

I guess sometimes it's hard for me to understand, as mentioned earlier, what would compel someone to go through the trouble. And in the end, it causes me to lose all respect for said person, even for the parts for which I originally admired them for.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

There are two seperate issues....

One is creating a false name and using it to pump up your work, your shop, your boss, etc., etc. or worse, rip your competition etc.

I've seen that happen more than once around here and elsewhere and think it is ridiculous and flat out dishonest.

The other is creating a false name to participate in general or even more specific bar-room-like discussions and arguments with other people about sports, life, politics, music and whatever else.

I thought THAt - the second one -- was the whole point of annonymous message boards.

4. zagoshe

So, what you are saying is that you don't believe Drip's neighbors are hot and hit on him?

Good, good, on that we can agree.....

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, I confess, I'm COCKDIAN! Whew, I feel so much better now.

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Well, maybe, until someone fakes their own death ... then all hell breaks loose.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't give Drip any ideas.

8. zagoshe

I wish I had faked my own death right before the half, that way I wouldn't have had to endure that awful performance by The Who!!! [\crossthread]

9. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

*blush* Thank you, sir.

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I hear ya! I mean, I knew it was gonna be tough to meet Bruce's standard from last year, but PLEASE. Horrible.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The odds were pretty low that you'd like it more than Bruce's set.

12. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

This. I'm way too lazy for such endeavors.

Draft saved Draft deleted