1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalist's house burns as memorabilia hinders firefighters

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EStreetJoe, Jan 6, 2008.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

A warning about how you store your memorabilia and old newspapers.
    Also a warning to keep those clothes dryers working properly...
    It's a tragedy because the O'Gorman is a great guy.

http://www.nj.com/news/times/regional/index.ssf?/base/news-11/119942311465750.xml&coll=5

2. lono

lono Active Member

I guess that's called fanboi-ing the flames.

3. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

geeze, thank god everybody is OK

George is an awesome guy

nobody deserves this

4. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

you know, there's a time and place for idiotic jokes and maybe this ain't one of 'em

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wow that's awful. I hope everyone's OK.

And yeah, real bad timing for the joke.

6. EStreetJoe

For those that don't know George, he's a great guy and some of the memorabilia was things from the multiple Super Bowls he's covered, a specially made sports art piece that the artist did in honor of George's 50th birthday.
    One sad item the article missed was that one of the three family dogs died in the fire.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The story makes it sound like the place was littered with the stuff, though.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Wow, FIVE fire companies responded to this fire? Those five are all in the same general vicinity, so maybe there was some overlapping jurisdiction, but was the heavy response because of the potential gas line explosion?

And this reminds of a fire we had in these parts five or six years ago. Local artist built his house piece by piece, with each room having a different theme. It was kind of a tourist attraction, and he was mentioned in several books. Only bad thing was, it was all wood and there was no real plan for the overall layout. Once it caught fire, it was like a burning maze. Firemen couldn't do anything but let it burn to the ground.

9. EStreetJoe

Don't know why the response was so large. I'm guessing the amount of smoke made it deceptive just how large it was.
    The township the fire was in is 34.9 square miles large and has 8 fire districts if I recall correctly. Juristiction is rarely an issue with them as they have the township carved up pretty well. I could easily see the two closest companies responding as they're just a couple of miles from the scene.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I lived there, but Colonial, Mercerville and Enterprise used to have some good equipment. Things like aerial trucks. Nottingham was smaller, IIRC, and I have no earthly idea what Robbinsville has. Didn't even know that was a township department. Seems weird that more than one of those companies would be needed for a house fire. Not like that part of the township has a lot of row homes, like some of the parts of Rusling, Decou and Whitehorse's areas.

And in case you were wondering, as a kid I used to geek out on Hamilton Township's fire departments. At one point I could tell you what type of truck every department had.

11. EStreetJoe

Nottingham's got some very good equipment too

Draft saved Draft deleted