1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists helping out with media guide

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Offered without comment, just questions:

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf4/134242.pdf?&KEY=DRXNUSAEYPLCPJU.20080727150055&DB_ACCOUNT_TYPE=AGENT&TITAN_ACTIVE=YES&DB_MENU_ID=2768&DB_LANG=C&OLD_MODE=publishing&DB_OEM_ID=7700

Check the editing credits on the front page. Are there two Greg Auman's down there or is that the one who covers USF for the St. Pete Times? Do I have the right name? IF that is the guy, is that OK? I have to assume his paper knows.

I don't recall anyone on our paper's staff doing something like that. If it is considered OK, I'd sure love to freelance some editing help out to some of the paper's staff.

Thoughts?

2. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Don't know the guy, never even heard of him. But if it is the guy, I'd have to say it is definitely NOT OK.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I know the Auman of SPT, if there's a second one in Tampa Bay and he works for USF, that would strike me as quite the coincidence. Don't know why he'd be copy editing though.

I'm curious of other opinions on this. For example, I know motorsports journalists who write for major outlets yet also contribute copy for programs at racetracks, which strikes me as similar to writing for a school's media guide.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would be OK with a reporter or copy editor helping to proof the media guide on their own time for pay -- but not anyone who covers that team for the paper.

If the beat guy looked over the stats or a couple stories as a favor, I'd be OK with that.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I don't know that I necessarily have a problem with it. If you're covering the team, you probably know quite a bit about the team - as I assume Auman does. To me, that's just another expert trying to shore up facts that will be used for mutual benefit later on. The SID intern probably has no idea if Mike Ford passed 100 yards rushing on six occasions; Auman can probably list the games.

Looking at the hard copy here now, he's solely listed as a copy editor. It could mean just that - checking for grammar, style, accuracy, etc., which I think is fine. If he contributes copy, I'd only be concerned if it's biased.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And if he gets paid for it?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Actually, a source just told me that's exactly the case. Auman helped out with some fact-checking, gratis.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That would be fine with me.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I guess that would be a conflict, yeah. Personally, I'd do it for free just to do it. I hate opening to page 149 and seeing "Jsaon Smith" because nobody gave the SID an extra look. Then again, I might be in the minority.

Now that this topic is settled, what's the consensus on doing work for game programs? I fairly often see the centerpiece of local state U's program written by a fellow beat writer. Not sure on the financial aspect, but I have to assume it's there. Bad? Good? What about with a full byline - "By Joe Smith, The Daily Times"?

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Bad. Unless it's a reprint of a story written for the paper.

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

If he got paid, it's wrong. If he did it as a favor, it's wrong----favors should never be exchanged between beat writers and teams they cover, of even teams in their area whether or not they actually cover them.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But if he is helping to weed mistakes out of the media guide that might (and do) make their way into the paper, I think it's OK.

If he was editing a game program or something, that's different.

Draft saved Draft deleted