1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Journalists" give standing O to Hillary

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Joe Williams, Mar 24, 2015.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tell me some of the facts, Joe. What journalists in the "journalist-heavy crowd" (how delightfully vague that phrase is) gave her a standing ovation? What's the line between polite applause and a standing ovation anyway? Is it a decibel measurement, or something more subjective?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

90%? Can you back that up?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Next they'll point out the "journalist-heavy crowd" gave Obama (and every other POTUS) a standing ovation at the White House Correspondents Association dinner.

THE HORROR!

4. LongTimeListener

I feel like Joe used to be smarter than this.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And if the journalists had sat there without clapping, Breitbart would be shrieking that Hillary's speech was so terrible that she couldn't even get a round of applause.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Nope. Still smart. I feel posters/members on a board with "journalists" in its name used to have more spine and integrity.
    How 'bout a show of hands? What percent of you Hillary Dobermans voted Democrat in recent elections?
    The difference these days is so few feel it's professionally necessary to check their bias to do their jobs properly and fairly. And the news industry circles the bowl. What a shame.
    You're treating the simple reporting of a standing ovation like it's a climate-change model of dubious worth.
    You don't like the information, so you attack the messenger. Because there's no justifying the behavior.
    Polite applause vs. standing ovation: how is the latter OK in a room of people who need, by their industry involvement, to maintain professional distance? Both for actual and for the appearance of compromised ethics.
    Miserable standing-O deniers, impure and simple.

old_tony likes this.
  7. LongTimeListener

Huh.

I guess I was wrong.

8. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

When you read the actual Time story instead of the biased Breitbart reporting, it sounds like the standing ovation came after she said things like, "“We rely even more on reporters to try to get us out of the echo chambers we all inhabit. We need more than ever smart, fair-minded journalists.” So, was the ovation for her or for her praise of Robin Toner and call for more smart, fair-minded journalists?

Of course, it's easier to read Breitbart and make it an issue about the evil "mainstream media" than it is to actually read the real stories and consider reality.

EddieM likes this.
  9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Who's attacking whom on this thread? ... "Dobermans"? Really?
    (And I say that as someone who is no fan of Hillary.)

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Just about everyone in a "journalist-heavy crowd" gave Laura Bush a standing ovation in 2005, and gave one to President Bush in 2008.

Discuss.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This has a very Baron-esque flavor to it. To which I say ... et tu MC? :confused:

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

OK, let's let them do their fawning standing ovation.
    How about what the sycophants laughed at? In an ongoing investigation, no less.
    If only Nixon had joked before a bunch of journos about how he should have destroyed that damn tape recorder...

Blog: Destroying government documents: super-funny?

Draft saved Draft deleted