1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists and their sociopolitical opinions on Twitter

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 26, 2020.

?

Do you think less of sports journalists sharing their sociopolitical views on Twitter?

1. Yes -regardless of their views

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. No - regardless of their views

16 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Yes - if they have views that don't agree with mine

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. I think more of journalists who have my political views

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. Depends on the sociopolitical issue

9 vote(s)
    17.3%
  6. No, if it's about a politician I don't like

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No, if I think the sociopolitical issue is relevant

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  8. Yes, but, if you saw my behavior on Twitter, you'd think no, because I have to follow the herd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. I think more of journalists who have views different from my own

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'm as anti-Trump as it gets and she is EXHAUSTING.

Sports Barf likes this.
  3. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

A social media account that "belongs" to the outlet - that is, Roger Reporter tweeting news related to his job, as required by the employer - would, in my ideal world, stick to his work.

The same reporter would, in my ideal world, be at liberty to social media his/her ass off on his/her own accounts.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t disagree with any of this. I’m wondering if it affects anyone’s opinion of that journalist.

5. Dog8Cats

Sure ... if a journalist's personal social media reflects what I think is intelligence or stupidity, that will affect my opinion of the person's work and his/her ability to do the job.

6. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

If the account is under the reporter's name, reporter's email, and reflects only the reporter's work and isn't a generic company account, then it belongs to the reporter. It's their brand, their following, and they can choose to do what they want with it - though that doesn't shield them from any consequences.

DarkHorses and SFIND like this.
  7. Dog8Cats

If I were running things, something from the "generic company account" would belong to the company. As in, when a reporter left the beat/outlet, the Twitter account would stay with the outlet/platform. (I'm looking at it from ownership/management side.)

DarkHorses likes this.
  8. MeanGreenATO

MeanGreenATO Well-Known Member

I work(ed) for a couple of notable shops and the rule has always been to stay out of politics (actual politics, not topics like racial equality, which should never be political). I actually don't mind staying in my lane because too many tweets outside your coverage area can cost you readers, no matter the topic.

9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Yeah, but if the account is JoeBlowWaPo, that account should belong solely to Joe Blow. The company can have a social media policy, just like many have ethics and moral clauses. And if Joe Blow violates those policies, he suffers the consequences. But he can weigh the pros and cons of that himself -- the account still belongs to him and will have after he leaves the company.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The second paragraph of your post is spot on. Many of my readers are extreme MAGA types and my political views would make them angry. So I keep it off social media.

11. stix

stix Well-Known Member

As long as you don't cost any high school kids their DI scholarships, then it's OK.

Let's reserve that for print.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'm not sure many more prominent journalists care much about audience or readership. They are confident they'll have a job, somewhere, doing something, paying pretty well, so long as they have the correct worldview.

Draft saved Draft deleted