1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalists and political donations

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by statrat, Jun 21, 2007.

?

Is it acceptable for journalists to make political donations?

1. Yes

13.6%
  2. No

45.8%
  3. Only if they are not covering politics

40.7%
  1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I was taught in my journalism ethics course that journalists should really be endorsing or openly supporting political candidates. It is considered ethically inappropriate.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Journalists should be raking both sides over the coals regardless of political bias. If you are a liberal or conservative or centrist, if you can't find something to criticize in your favorite candidate's campaign, platform or past, you are a total disgrace.

3. lapdog

lapdog Member

Back in October 2004, our then-publisher sent around a memo that staff members were not to purchase tickets or attend the "Vote For Change" concerts, since ticket purchases were recorded as donations to MoveOn.org, and proceeds from the concerts were aimed at defeating the members of one particular political party.

4. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Sigh.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I remember that was an issue. But I don't know, there's also an entertainment factor to consider. Would you tell the newsroom that no one should buy tickets to see a Michael Moore documentary? Or that no one should purchase Ann Coulter's latest book? To me, the Vote for Change tour was the same sort of deal.

6. lapdog

lapdog Member

I wouldn't tell the newsroom that, but the publisher probably would. The publisher, most likely, would REQUIRE that everyone buy Coulter's latest book (to complete their personal collections, of course).

7. Mighty_Wingman

No one should read an Ann Coulter book on sheer principle alone.

But the difference between seeing a Michael Moore movie or buying one of Coulter's screeds on the one hand and going to a Vote for Change concert on the other is that Vote for Change was a benefit concert. Proceeds were used as political donations, and those donations were used exclusively on behalf of one party and against the other.

Proceeds from a Michael Moore movie or an Ann Coulter book go into their respective pockets.

8. So I can buy one from a scalper?

9. Mighty_Wingman

Only if you pay a socially responsible price. Check with the faculty at Harvard for any guidelines.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Recovering from moving (which is why I haven't been around for a few days).. but my take is that I'm a sports writer, not a political writer so if I want to make political contributions, I can. If I want to have a political bumper sticker on my car I can.
    If the people who work in advertising and circulation, who also represent the paper in the public's eye can have political bumper stickers and make donations, then I can too. I don't impact the paper's political coverage working in sports. I also give to a few select non-political, non-profit groups that I believe in.

For those that say you shouldn't make political contributions as a journalist, would you extend that to non-profit groups (like the Cancer Society, the Multiple Sclerosis Society, Habitat for Humanity, etc.) as well? Since donations to one of those non-profit groups (or having their bumper sticker on your car) could show a bias toward one.

11. They only scalp tickets to lecture series. Gotta go BU for the Sox.

12. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I don't think there's anything wrong with a reporter making donations or volunteering with non-profit community groups like the ones you listed. And I think it's fine to give money to educational or religious institutions -- as long as they're not trying to actively influence public policy. In other words, it's OK to give to your local house of worship but not the Christian Coalition. And I think it's OK to give to the local cancer society...but not to their efforts to raise cigarette taxes.
    Here's a question that kind of comes up with me...what about community organizations, like downtown alliances, neighborhood associations or any sort of group that occassionally wades into political issues? On one hand, you've got people who are committed to improving an area...on the other hand, sometimes they'll take stances on highly divisive local issues, like taxes or zoning.

Draft saved Draft deleted