1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalistically: Giants win or Patriots loss?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, Feb 3, 2008.

?

Should media outlets highlight the Giants Super Bowl win or the Patriots first loss?

1. Giants win

32 vote(s)
    68.1%
  2. Patriots loss

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Taking a look in the SB42 Headline threads, I'm surprised by how many people would use a negative Patriots headline over a positive Giants hed.

So what's the real news here?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If the Patriots were something like 16-2 coming in, I'd highlight the Giants win.

But since this was a chance at only the second perfect season in NFL history (and since the Patriots have the longest perfect stretch during one regular season in NFL history ... the 1972 Dolphins went 17-0), I think you highlight the Pats loss.

Not to take anything away from a Giants team that made the plays when they absolutely had to, but the real story IMO is the Patriots losing since New England had three Super Bowl wins this decade coming in and people were starting to put Tom Brady in the conversation as being one of the top five quartebacks of all time.

3. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I would say the big story here is actually that the Patriots lost to a team that they should have beaten. Its like the headline I used for my blog to announce the win David beats Goliath everyone should agree that everyone throught that this game would be a win for the Patriots.

Patriots don't go undefeated is a national story because they did not make history but the Giants made history by beating the Patriots.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

David beats Goliath wortks for me, because I think that plays off both...

but I still think you definitely go with the Giants

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Giants won the game. They outplayed the previously unbeaten Pats. The focus has to be on the Giants.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Giants took it to them defensively, and shoved the ball down their throats on the final drive offensively.

Giants win. Period.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The story, from a national standpoint, is the Patriots were 18-0, going for only the second unbeaten season in NFL history. They lost in the last game. Yes, the Giants won. But the fact the unbeaten Patriots lost trumps it.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

David beats Goliath. Gee, haven't seen that one before. Anyone care to tell the story?

9. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

my headline would be:'Giant thriller'

10. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

A1 highlighted the Patriots' loss

Our sports section is 90 percent Giants-centric

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

To me, it depends where you are.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Apparently, slings and stones were involved. I think Spnited was there, maybe he can give us a blow-by-blow recap.

Draft saved Draft deleted