1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalistic Whitewash?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Background: New Canaan HS ( 8-1) playing Darien HS ( 8-0) on Turkey Day. Big rival game.

On Wednesday 5 Darien players vandalize NC stadium with spray paint. Caught on video and players booted off team. Police issue warrants for arrest.

Two of players were key starters. Game on live TV - announcers chose to not even discuss issue - like it never happened.

Newspapers mentioned but chose not to mention missing players who obviously made a difference since NC won 42 - 14.

Here is one of write ups:

"The 81st edition of this rivalry already was replete with story lines before taking a controversial turn just over 24 hours before kickoff, when five members, including two starters, of the Darien team were accused of vandalizing the New Canaan campus, which consisted of spray-painting almost every entrance to the school, and parts of the football stadium. The graffiti had expletives and obscene gestures."

My question since it obviously impacted results - should missing players have been identified?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

A sticky situation, Boom. But if there is a police report naming the five players then yes, they should be identified and the reason for the suspensions given.
    If no police report, you can mention the players names but might have to hedge a bit on the reason for the suspensions, especially if they are under 18.
    Of course, if I were in this situation, we have a legal department I'd have to run the whole thing by before we published anything.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Local Patch listed the names of starters as "conspicuously absent" from lineup. It was pulled .

4. whoever wrote this run-on sentence should have been arrested

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If they are minors, you normally would not list the names of minors accused of a crime.

You likely would not even have access to the names of the minors from any official source.

If you assumed one of the missing starters was one of the vandals and it turns out he was injured, you'd be in big trouble.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Ace is right. You're unlikely to get the names if they're juveniles. And not in lineup does not mean they're suspects. Got to step very carefully ...

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I agree with the others. If they're 18, then I think you have to mention in the game story that they got suspended because they got arrested. If they're under 18 and the coach or someone else won't go on record, I think you just have to note that they're out.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

You name the kids who were missing from the game.

It impacted the game.

You ask the coach if that's why the kids were missing.

If a star is missing, I always ask.

Ace: There are parts of the country where papers list arrests of minors.

Once they are arrested, you certainly report it.

Here's where I come from on this, and feel free to disagree, because I know you will anyway. ;)

Kid gets glory, praise and his name in the paper for being a star athlete. That makes him a public figure of sorts, so if negative happens, you report it. It becomes newsworthy.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Stars aside, if a team has 50 players, how do you know if someone is missing?

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Some kid playing high school football is not a public figure. If you want to play big-time reporter, get a big-time job. There are many places were they don't release any details regarding juveniles if they are charged with a misdemeanor.

11. CRR13

CRR13 Member

If the kid is a minor, I'd hold back on the name. If he isn't, then I would include his name.

12. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted