1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalist James Foley executed by ISIS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Never again.

Unless we're tired.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

A segment of Americans doesn't care about the country's interest, either. It has to start fucking with their sense of self-importance.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Sadly, that's really good. You should try your hand at sloganeering.

4. It's OK to show death by sprint car.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I had gotten the dumb-ass ice bucket challenge earlier today and now we learn of someone kneeling before another person with far grislier results.

The people who hate America and its citizens look at our culture from the outside and see a bunch of jackasses willingly pouring ice water over their own heads. Meanwhile, they're playing for keeps with swords aimed at necks. They have to be laughing at the morons we look like.

Just send a check to ALS and save your energy to work up some rage against these Islamist extremists. This isn't the 1950s and we don't have time to be swallowing goldfish and packing telephone booths, children.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Oh, so if it's non-state entity that means it'll be easier? Yeah, I guess our little venture against that non-state entity Al Qaeda proved that. Why, what an easy little 13-year cakewalk that's been in Afghanistan removing those guys from our world.

Look, I don't know what you think ISIS is, but if you think going in after them would be akin to going after the Mafia/outlaws then you're sorely mistaken. It's an organization that now controls and effectively governs a large geographic area than includes vast portions of Iraq and Syria, has standing armies and large arsenals of advanced weaponry (much of which came from us), is now independently self-funding (form various income sources that now reportedly include up to 3 million dollars per day made selling oil from various refineries it now controls), and has new members pouring in from all around the regions at an alarming rate. It's more akin to the new Al Qaeda than the "mafia", except that it already arguably directly controls and rules more geography than Al Qaeda ever did.

To truly take on ISIS (and not just try to hold them off with airstrikes) would mean another Mid-East war that could easily end up being much like the decade-long plus ventures we've endured in Afghanistan/Iraq, and perhaps even worse. Are you prepared to do that again?

And you may not want the prior Iraq "forays" discussed (and, btw, it's disingenuous to say the least to characterize a decade long war that virtually bankrupted our treasury and cost thousands of lives a mere "foray"), but it's difficult to discuss the ISIS/Iraq situation without ever mentioning the pink elephant in the room--which is that this shit would not be happening if we had not illegally invaded that country and created a horrible ungodly power vacuum in the heart of that region for no damn good reason. They are not separate unrelated conflicts, instead one is the direct consequence of the other.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I believe YankeeFan said it best.

But sans the snark: "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Arguing with idiots.

Did either you or YF go to Iraq for the last one? Will either of you be on the planes if we send troops over again? If not, then I'm not particularly interested in hearing your tough guy talk about committing other people's kids to yet another mid-east war.

9. Mr. Sunshine

TALKING POINTS!

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The circle jerk started early on this one.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb ISIS.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

CUT AND RUN!!!!

On another note, I did watch the video, albeit with a lot of trepidation.

ADD: I had originally put a brief description of the video, without much detail, but I deleted it just in case anyone would be upset by the description.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.