1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalist in a candy store: Spent all day at the Newseum

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Apr 10, 2012.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

My first foray into the Newseum. Last time I went to DC I was unemployed and couldn't splurge on the ticket. Decided to go for it this time. (Online tickets 10 percent off!)

Holy cow. I spent ALL day there and didn't see half of it -- didn't even make it to the 9/11 or Katrina displays.

Beyond the awesome permanent displays (most of which I haven't seen), the temporary exhibit through August is Neil Leifer's photography. I'm sure it doesn't even tip the iceberg of what he's done, but what they have there is phenomenal.

Now even sure which was my favorite display of the of the exhibits I covered today. So much to absorb. I was totally into the films and the headlines through the ages.

Cheered to see so many kids into it, too. I sort of thought it'd be for geeks like us.

If you could spend just two hours in there, what would you opt for? I know many here have been there. They pretty much kicked me out today, but I'm heading for 9/11 tomorrow. What else is a must-see in there?

So glad the tickets are good for two days.

2. Quakes

Quakes Guest

You could spend hours just in the news history gallery, where they've got so many historic front pages. The gallery of Pulitzer-winning photographs was probably the most memorable thing for me, although it's not exactly the sort of thing that will leave you smiling. There's a picture from Sudan that still haunts me.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I wrote this on a previous DC travel thread, but the Newseum made me weepy from the moment I walked in the door. The 9/11 exhibit was literally paralyzing, I could not pull myself away from the documentary on how journos covered that day. Same for the Katrina exhibit. What really got me was the section on journos in the line of fire around the world, along with shot-up vehicles, some personal items belonging to Daniel Pearl, and photos of every journalist killed in the line of duty over the last few decades.

I still think credentialed media should get in for free.

Draft saved Draft deleted