1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalist Hopeful Looking For Advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gobucs12, Feb 3, 2009.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You know, I love this post. It's a great one -- thoughtful, nice perspective, and the advice is all good for young reporters/writers, or for prospective journalists.

It's so good, and I agree with it so much, in fact, that it makes me almost want to cry -- as someone who has just that passion you speak of, has done all you suggested through a whole career, and has had some success, but who, now in mid-career, is having it all not matter very much at all, I mean.

CJ, I wish you'd have some good advice for me, too. I wish, but I doubt it. And really, based on this post, I consider that unfortunate.

2. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Which is exactly why I told him to major in something else. I didn't figure that out until halfway through, but I was lucky enough to be able to switch majors and still take some core journalism classes.

It really is sad, WT. There are so many people who did things the right way, who worked for what they had and took advantage of opportunities they got. They put in extra hours and did extra work, and then one day, the plug got pulled.

I completely understand why some people have lost the love, and I'm not even sure it's what I want to do anymore. Scratch that: I know it's what I *want* to do, I just don't know if I can put up with it anymore. I'm trying to hang in there, but it's tough right now. Real tough. The only problem is that I'm having trouble finding a possible career that I think I'll actually be happy with.

I hope, for the sake of younger people like gobucs, that we rebound and use the tough times as a learning experience to move on to a profitable model for future that also takes advantage of all the new ways to get our product to the consumers.

But I'm not holding my breath. I've been holding it too long, and I know there are others who have been waiting much longer than I have.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Or they realized too late that it was lip service and no one cared about them doing it the right way, working for what they had, taking advantages, putting in the extra hours and doing extra work. Then they became one of "those employees," passively punching the clock for the check without desire to go the extra mile they would have crawled through glass for just a few years earlier.

4. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

This too.

5. Keep the enthusiasm if this really what you want to do. You won't make much money, but if you really love it, that won't matter as much. A lot of people on this board are unhappy, but that doesn't mean you will be.

6. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

We are unhappy because of the fucktards making the decisions and ruining the business. Otherwise we like the actual work. Just being used and abused and being forced to the unemployment line. WHy shouldn't we be unhappy with these morons making the decisions?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

10 a.m. does come around early, doesn't it, fred?

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Journalism is great. It's the idiots at the top who thought they could give away the product that have crapped all over it.

9. Fredrick

Yes lucky for me I don't have to go to the meetings with the sellouts. Not all are sellouts. The ones who are know who they are.
    Are you standing up for the publishers and ME's who have ruined this business? Or just taking a boring potshot at Fredrick?

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

this business was headed for the shitter long, long ago and there's nothing anybody could have done to stop the inevitable. slow it down? sure. but you give management way too much credit.

11. Fredrick

That's where we disagree. Management listened to the "surveys" and the consultants who pushed the Internet -- consultants with a vested interest.
    Management newspaper types I personally believe are low IQ pieces of shit. They ruined this business IMO. You disagree?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it must be nice to be 20-something and know everyfuckingthing.

this business was heading into the shitter long before the internet ever came along.

pick fights often?

Draft saved Draft deleted