1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalist Hopeful Looking For Advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by gobucs12, Feb 3, 2009.

1. gobucs12

gobucs12 New Member

First time poster here. I'm a junior in high school, and I really want to be a sports journalist. I really like writing and I love sports so I think it would be a great career. I've been writing for my school's paper for 3 years now, and I'm starting to look at schools. I was thinking of Syracuse, Ohio U, and Duquesne as my top 3. Anyone here attend any of these schools? Which would you think would be best for getting into the sports journalism field?

Thanks

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

One question, are you for real? If you are, try the search function because the hounds will be released soon. I won't pile any more on, since it will be coming.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I'm not sure it matters all that much which school you chose, so long as you get the opportunity to do hands-on stuff. Writing for a school paper, web site, working in the SID office are all good ways to gain experience before graduation.

There will be some here who will tell you that journalism is dying. Newspapers may (or may not) be dying, but there will always be a need for good journalists: people who can research, interview, write and edit copy.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do you read this site? i mean really, you found the appropriate board in which to post this message, but you've never actually read journalism topics only?

you are not for real.

5. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

but is he PhoReal?

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Syracuse or Duquesne? Does your dad work for one of the banks that have bailed out? I'd start looking at some good juco's in your neighborhood? Or that school that Sally Struthers shilled for.

7. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Wow. Four replies and no one's told him to go be an accountant instead.

Just go to the best school you can (though, if you're serious about this and all else is equal, go to the school with the daily student paper).
    Once you get there, read all sorts of things. Take every chance you get to write, ideally on deadline. Study writing and study something else, like economics or government. Learn to do multimedia. And catch some breaks.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm sick of explaining to newbies why they shouldn't get into the business.

Just don't do it. Don't do it unless you want to be poor all your life and hate your job.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Or unless you want to be poor all your life, enjoy your job and then have a bean-counter's decision turn your guts into jelly. After that you will be poor and miserable, working with people you dislike and writing things that make your wish someone had told you to go into accounting.

Go into accounting, lad.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

My journalistic life can be pretty well summed up by Cosmo Brown in "Singin' In The Rain"

Now look at me: I've got no fame, I've got no glory, I've got no big mansions, I've got no money! But I've got - what have I got?

Honestly, this profession can be very fulfilling. But it can be very rough as well, and there'll be a lot of bums and bruises along the way.

11. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

This is a place of despair, heartache and angst. Take your youthful optimism elsewhere. But first, wash my truck.

12. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted