1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalist Conflict? Disclosure required?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by heyabbott, May 3, 2015.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

A prominent TV news journalist in Baltimore who has covered the protests and riots extensively is in a romantic relationship with the Baltimore City deputy state's attorney in charge of prosecuting police officers.

They do not share a last a name and have not previously publicly disclosed their relationship. Is public disclosure required? Is recusal from covering the story appropriate.

The journalist is well respected and has been doing the job for years in Baltimore with great success.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No public disclosure. No recusal. As long as your boss is aware and OK with it, you're good.

Would not want that person editorializing, though.

3. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

As long as the journalist is not covering the criminal charges against the officer, no disclosure is required.

If the journalist is covering the criminal charges, then disclosure is necessary.

The journalist really should not be covering the court case in this circumstance, though.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm a bit curious about the fact that Sun essentially outed Jayne Miller as a lesbian, something that was widely-known, but not previously disclosed, at least that I can recall.

I do think there is a conflict of interest there, even though Miller is extremely good at her job.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Conflict-of-interest reporter, welcome to the weekend festival and weather beat.

6. Double Down

She's one of the best investigative TV reporters in the country, so no.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Should have investigated the possibility this was going to be a huge conflict.
    Wouldn't stand for this in the smallest weekly newsroom I've worked in.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

9. Double Down

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

That's a shame. I don't have a problem with her coverage. When you're the best at something, there's a reason: Conflicts of interest don't exist and they sure as hell don't get in the way.

Draft saved Draft deleted