1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism's new savior

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 23, 2010.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/media/blogs/popculture/2010/11/sarah-palin-nicolas-sarkozy.html

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Wow, if that's what she said, God help us all...

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I anxiously await her plan to do that. Of course, she has yet to give specifics on any other policy matter, unless you count screaming "I'm against it!"

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Nope, she's not a moron!

Even though she thinks we're allies with North Korea.

http://www.mediaite.com/uncategorized/sarah-palin-confuses-whos-on-our-side-in-northsouth-korea/

5. Mizzougrad96

I'm through defending her. Hopefully she screws up enough so she gets laughed out of Iowa and New Hampshire.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"I want to help clean up the state that is so sorry today of Koreanism."

Likely just a slip of the tongue, but still.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've always wondered, considering her lack of interest in world politics and current events, why she even wants to be involved in presidential politics. Seems like she's putting the cart before the horse. Seems like you would be interested in world and domestic events and policy, then decide to go into politics.

I get why she ran for mayor of Wasilla. I get why she ran for governor of Alaska. Those places are near and dear to her. But I often think that when it comes to national office, the Peter Principle is in play.

She just doesn't seem to have any ideas that seem interesting to me. Just potshots at journalists, "elites," and Obama. When I read "The Audacity of Hope," I felt like Obama at least was a serious man with a fully formed world view. I think the same could be said of Huckabee, much as he likes to play the clown, or Romney or probably Mike Pence. Then again, I haven't read her book. Perhaps I'm mistaken. But she doesn't come off as someone whose world expands beyond Alaska, which I guess is understandable with how isolated they are up there. But why does she want to be president? Maybe she's got a chip on her shoulder about her home state. Like, "Hey, we're America, too!"

I suppose, to make this post palatable on a journalism board, there is something to the way she has embraced and utilized social media. She's a Tweet machine. I think she's heavily involved in using Facebook to marshal support and endorse candidates.

Perhaps this is an experiment: Can someone win the presidency in 2012 while completely bypassing the traditional media? I actually still don't think she's ever appeared on "Meet the Press," for example.

8. Mizzougrad96

The answer is money. She's supposed to make about $15 mil in 2010.

She is far more influential/powerful in her current role than she would be if she ran and got her ass kicked. If she said the timing isn't right but that she'd do anything she can to help the GOP nominee get elected she'd be able to milk her current role for at least the next six years or so.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://www.palinaspresident.us/

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You think? At some point, you would think she has to make a serious run at the presidency. That's why so many people are so invested in her. That's my intuition anyway. I think if she didn't run, people would eventually run out of patience and move onto the next thing. She's different than Glenn Beck or other pundits. They've built their audience on the substance of their rhetoric. She's built her audience because people want her to be president. Her actual work on Fox or Twitter is just peripheral to that. Without the carrot to dangle that she may be the President, I think her popularity plummets.

11. Mizzougrad96

You might be right, but I don't think her supporters would completely bail on her if she seemed to decide that running in 2016 is the better option than running in 2012 and possibly getting destroyed. Obviously, maintaining the level of popularity she has now is next to impossible, but she could still milk Fox News for a seven-figure annual contract and a handful of books during that time.

I think she's also getting between $100K and $250K for speeches, which is only topped by former presidents.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I agree, except she won't run in 2016 either.

Now she has two years of gubernatorial experience that are looking worse in retrospect because her former lieutenant governor, Sean Parnell, is getting more done. In six years, she will be seven years removed from that service.

Her only significant contribution as governor, the Alaska Gasline Inducement Act, could create a natural gas pipeline -- and that could give her a boost whether she deserves credit or not. But there's too many "what ifs" to say whether TransCanada and the major North Slope producers will follow through.

Palin lacks a track record, and she can't win a presidential election because of that.

Why run for president and lose when you're making plenty of money by just saying that you could win? Why spoil that?

Draft saved Draft deleted