1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism's new savior

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 23, 2010.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

i do not believe palin is "stupid" for a pta president. but you're darn tootin' she is frighteningly uninformed, vapid lacking in every aspect associate with being smart that i want so see in POTUS. sorry for those who are offended, but when our top presidential candiates do a q-and-a with a prominent talking head, print journalist or engage in a debate with their opposition, i'd prefer to come away thinking she is far sharper and familiar with the issues than the people asking the questions. never has she given me any reassurance that could be true.

the closer 2012 comes, the more joe public will start paying attention to what the candidates are saying, how they're saying it and if the thoughts are their own or those of the puppeteers pulling the strings.

again, i hope. how discouraging it is that this often is not the case. IF obama is one term and done and sarah is next up in the oval office is there any chance we avoid the instability of back-to-back 1-and-done presidents?

'cause there is NO WAY sarah ever earns a second term. she will loooong be exposed for being in over her hairdo. think the country me ay already be prepared to dump obama? talk about being warned to be careful what you wish for... oh, my.

it would be great news for tina fey fans and those who long for 'snl' to become relevant again for a few months... i'd like to see tina/sarah debate barack/the new guy who's supposed to do the best obama impression.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Go to that site and look at the list of journalists writing for it and explain to me how it's not "mainstream" or "media"

So, if you don't have a print product or aren't a network or cable news you're not mainstream?

How very 1990s of you.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Just for the record, here's what Obama actually said about American exceptionalism.
    The bolded portion is what was snipped out and used against Obama by Palin and a host of other conservative pundits but the very next line has never been used.

Editing quotes like that would get most of us who work in journalism fired.

4. Mizzougrad96

I think what scares people is that with the way things are going right now, there are some who believe that whichever candidate wins the republican nomination has a pretty damn good chance at beating Obama. If the election were held today, that might be the case.

I don't have anything against Palin, but I don't think she's done anything to merit being the face of the republican party and I don't think she's qualified to be president. She's much better off and better suited for becoming the next Pat Buchanan and writing books and being on TV for the next 20 years.

I think Obama wins in 2012 because there is no republican who can rally enough support to beat him. It will be similar to 2004 when people don't really like either candidate and they vote for the incumbent.

I'm conservative and Palin scares me, so it doesn't surprise me that she scares the living fuck out of liberals.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Maybe we could get this whole "mainstream journalism" question settled if she served half a term at the SPJ.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Can she see the Moscow beat from her desk there?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

In her defense, the media do kinda suck.

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I love London but to be honest, most Brits hate themselves, hate their dank little island and would give anything to be anywhere else.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Back to the, um, journalism thing.

How is Madame Palin's #1 employer, News Corp., not part of the mainstream media?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"I want to help clean up the state that is so sorry today of journalism."

11. Mizzougrad96

If that is her exact quote, provide a link.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's from the opening post on this thread.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/11/22/palin-wont-waste-time-on-couric/#more-136711

"I want to help clean up the state that is so sorry today of journalism. And I have a communications degree. I studied journalism, who, what, where, when, and why of reporting," Palin continued. "I will speak to reporters who still understand that cornerstone of our democracy, that expectation that the public has for truth to be reported. And then we get to decide our own opinion based on the facts reported to us."

Draft saved Draft deleted