1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism's new savior

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was a really good piece. She's obviously heading for a crossroads. To compete for the presidency, she's going to need some more experienced people working for her. But when she hires them, she may lose some street cred that is part of her appeal. Then again, I think the people who see her as an outsider are unlikely to turn on her. She could hire James Carville to run her campaign and they wouldn't care. They are in it to win it.

2. Schottey

Schottey Guest

Who in the media have called her stupid? Katie Couric never once said, "Sarah, I think you're a buffoon." She asked her simple questions she was unable to answer.

Karl Rove is "meaner" to her than most of the people at MSNBC. Bloggers call her stupid, the occasional pundit will make fun of her gaffes. The media and journalists as a whole have not attacked her.

They've given her a ridiculously high amount of publicity.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many posts in did someone make a "She can read?" crack?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The point people are missing is that Palin doesn't have to talk to Couric or go one the Today Show, or make an appearance on the late-night talk shows. There are many ways she can reach the GOP base that bypasses traditional media.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

So in answer to the question "can we keep this apolitical ...:

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I expect nothing less from that idiot.

7. Mizzougrad96

If people want her to go away, they should start ignoring her.

The more the liberals freak out about her, the more the republicans start to like her.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Honestly, every President, regardless of political views, seems to have been very intelligent person. If you were in a room with Reagan, George Bush, Clinton, Carter, Nixon, Kennedy, Johnson, Truman, Obama and down the line I am guessing you would think they are very intelligent people.

The leader of the free world should be held to the highest standard, and I think all of these leaders are bright enough to lead our nation. Do I agree with all of them? No. But I do respect their intelligence.

George W on the other hand I don't think ever had the core intelligence of his father or of Reagan. Sorry, I just don't.

I feel the same way about Palin. She might be of above average intelligence, but I do not think she is gifted enough to lead this country.

McCain was smart enough. I just didn't agree with him.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

This is such a bullshit copout. What actually happened is that reporters doing the same job they always do asked her questions, and she either couldn't answer them (publications? Supreme Court decisions?) or she said something so unbelievably stupid (can see Russia) that when SNL put together the skit to poke fun at her, they didn't even have to write anything -- Fey read it word for damn word.

She wanted to be VP of the damn country, but couldn't answer something as simple as, "What do you read?" Spare me the stories of persecution.

And you know, actually, that leads into a fine explanation I heard the other day about media bias. It came from Jon Stewart during an interview on NPR. This won't be an exact quote, but it'll be close: "It's a neat little game everyone's playing now, where criticism is being portrayed as persecution. Because if you can make people believe that the person doing the criticizing actually has an agenda, an ax to grind, then you don't have to answer the criticism, no matter how legitimate that criticism might be."

It works that way now in everything -- from politics to sports. Criticize Palin, well, you must be a Bible-burnin' Liebral. Criticize random sports guy's favorite team, well, you must really be a fan of the rival.

It's childish. But it does prevent you from ever having to answer even obviously legitimate criticism, like why is the candidate for VP of the country attempting to convince people that being able to see Russia is foreign relations experience?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

It's all journalism's fault!

11. Mizzougrad96

I agree with the bulk of this. Well said.

12. Mizzougrad96

She can be unqualified to be president and still have been treated unfairly.

Draft saved Draft deleted