1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism's new savior

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This column says she needs to take the high road once in a while and stop being dragged into these personal feuds, that it is unbecoming for someone trying to achieve presidential stature:

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/11/30/on-joe-scarboroughs-sarah-palin-takedown/

Of course, John Kerry was criticized roundly for the opposite - not fighting back enough.

Ah, politics.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When she says she'll run "if no one else does" I want someone to ask her, "Who is the person you want to run so we can throw our support behind them so you'll go away?"

3. Dick Whitman

I was actually really disappointed this morning that she had not sent out a Scarborough tweet.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Obama wasn't asked about Ayers until George Stephanopoulos asked him about it. Stephanopoulos only asked him about him because he (Stephanopoulos) had been on Sean Hannity's radio show earlier in the day (or maybe it was the day before) and Hanninty asked him why the question has never been put to Obama.

Stephanopoulos was completely unaware of the story. He actually said on the radio show that he was "taking notes".

So he researched it a bit and asked him about it. And then he got criticized like crazy for doing so. He was carrying the rights water and such.

This was not a question the media wanted to press.

The Clintons? Please. How did hillary make all that money trading live cattle futures again?

Remember, she turned $1,000 into $100,000. She should be managing billions by now. Forget George Soros. Hillary is the best trader ever. And she retired one year into a Hall of Fame career.

But, she figured it all out by reading the Wall Street Journal, right?

Damn, Sarah, isn't that reason enough for you to pick up a newspaper!

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The Sarah Palin question is sort of funny.

But you want to really laugh. I think it was Howard Stern who would have his lackeys ask celebrities if they thought OJ Simpson was guilty of murder. They'd be at some red carpet event answering softballs -- who are you wearing -- and they'd get this from Howard's intern.

Talk about reluctant to answer a question.

Everyone knows he's guilty, but no one wants to turn off a significant part of your fan base. Plus, it would create a huge hubbub and get you completely off of the message you are trying to get out there -- like, come see the new movie I'm in.

6. Dick Whitman

I don't know the exact timeline on Ayers. It was a silly story anyway, but the New York Times did centerpiece it. Just saying. But if you want to cast Sean Hannity in the hero's role, have at it.

Do you think part of the problem isn't liberal bias, but rather a media that isn't interested in investigating complex business dealings or stories with complexity overall, whether they be in economics, science and technology, etc.? Compare the breathless way that Clinton's sexual proclivities are covered compared to the way the Clinton's business dealings are. Look at how Sarah Palin's many feuds are covered, like real stories.

FWIW, Carl Bernstein's excellent biography devotes a lot of space to Hillary's wealth-building. Apparently someone in the family had to do it, because Bill - at least in young age - was such a political animal that he had little time for worldy things like money.

7. Mizzougrad96

Bernstein's Hillary Bio was a masterpiece.

Weren't they almost broke when his presidency was over because of all the legal bills?

Since he gets $250K a speech, I'm sure they're doing fine now...

8. Oh, she's not stupid. But she's an absolute moron.

9. Mizzougrad96

I would put it this way. She believes her own hype. Granted, you can say that about a ton of politicians, especially the one in the White House.

10. Dick Whitman

11. Mizzougrad96

To be fair, that's true at most book signings. Between the ones I've covered and the ones I've gone to, that's usually the case because they want to move as many people through as quickly as possible.

Draft saved Draft deleted