1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kumar06, Apr 3, 2009.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Journalism. Always hated that word.

Newspapering. Or, now, perhaps, news. Fine with me.

2. Here's one that seems especially relevant today.

"The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter." -- Thomas Jefferson, letter to Edward Carrington, 1787.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I have no idea if you're right, but I can't imagine having any more fun majoring in something else.

Of course, I might be in better shape if I majored in something snooze-worthy like, oh, I don't know, ANYTHING ELSE.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

...has been in my kitchen, paying for the food therein.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

"What do you think I'm trying to do?. Look, I got news for you. I'm not locked up in the men's room with a cop because it's a good time. Frankly, I've had better times, okay? I'm here because I think the story is wrong. Is it? Is it? If you have something, give it to me now, but don't stand there and act coy and say "Fuck you", because, quite frankly, it's a waste of all of our time. And you know what? I don't have any more time. I have no more fucking time. I need it fucking today, I need it right now!"

Henry, "The Paper"

6. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

"I am not the editor of a newspaper, and shall always try to do right and be good so that God will not make me one." -- Mark Twain

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

This pretty much covers it all for a reporter at least.

8. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Journalism's a shrew and scold, I like her
    She makes you sick, she makes you old, I like her
    She's daily trouble, stress and strife
    She's love and hate and death and life
    She ain't no lady, she's my wife
    I like her
    --Franklin P. Adams, "The End of the World"

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Dammit, OTD, I wanted that one. :)

10. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I always preferred the line Jim Backus had at the wake, where he asked someone, "Do you want to be a reporter, or a journalist?"
    "What's the difference?"
    "A journalist makes himself the hero of the story. A reporter is just a witness."

11. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

“Buck did not read the newspapers, or he would have known that trouble was brewing, not alone for himself, but for every tide-water dog, strong of muscle and with warm, long hair, from Puget Sound to San Diego”

- Jack London from "Call of the Wild"

12. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Buck did not read newspapers but had been trained to poop on them.

Draft saved Draft deleted