1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism Teaching Job -- Albany, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Floyd, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Floyd

Floyd Member

Hey folks,

Not sure how many people are looking to make a jump from full-time writing, but this is a good opportunity for someone with a couple years in the biz looking to move into teaching. Probably won't be your last teaching job, but it doesn't require a ton of experience, and it's a great place to learn on the job.

I am the person leaving the job, and I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone has. The job is advertised as one-year temporary, but as long as you don't have an affair with a student or curse out the boss, you'll be kept on board. It also says it requires teaching experience, but I had none when I got the job, so don't worry too much about that. The salary is probably going to be high 30s or low 40s, and you can add 25% to that if you teach summer school. You'll also have 8 weeks of vacation time, and more if you don't teach summer. There is also a good deal of free time for those of you who wish to freelance. I continued to write regularly during my time at Darton and it was a nice bonus to my income. Benefits are also pretty good, including a pretty nice retirement package.

Like I said, it's not a job to retire on most likely, but the cost of living in the area is low, the facilities are pretty good, and the faculty and staff are excellent, and quite friendly and easy to get along with. Again, feel free to PM me with questions.

Here's the details:

DARTON COLLEGE, ALBANY, GA.
    JOURNALISM FULL-TIME FACULTY POSITION ONE YEAR TEMPORARY

Responsibilities of the position include:
    • Teach journalism courses
    • Recruit students for program
    • Supervise production of student newspaper
    • Advise an assigned group of students
    • Participate in division and college committees and projects
    • Participate in community activities
    • Continue professional growth and development
    • Perform other duties as assigned

Qualifications:
    Required:
    • Master's degree in journalism with at least 18 graduate semester hours or 27 graduate quarter hours in the discipline
    • Experience teaching journalism
    • Commitment to the teaching and learning process in a two-year community college
    • Computer literacy and willingness to use technology for classroom instruction and distance learning
    Preferred:
    • Doctorate in journalism
    • Second teaching field (18 graduate semester or 27 graduate quarter hours) in English,
    speech communication, Spanish, French, or German
    • Experience teaching at a community college
    • Preparation and willingness to teach distance learning classes

Contract Provisions:
    • Full-time, temporary position available August 10, 2007
    • Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
    • Faculty receive all benefits provided by the University System of Georgia, including hospital and major medical insurance, group life insurance, Georgia Teachers' Retirement System, Social Security, liability insurance, and Workman's Compensation.

A complete application must include:
    • A current resume
    • Letter of application addressing the above responsibilities and qualifications
    • A separate statement of philosophy reflecting the applicant's commitment to the two-year community college
    • Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three current references
    • Unofficial transcripts of all college work (official transcripts required prior to employment)

Applications received after August 1, 2007, cannot be guaranteed full consideration. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply.

Address all inquiries, nominations, and applications to:

Personnel Office
    Darton College
    2400 Gillionville Rd.
    Albany, GA 31707-3098

Draft saved Draft deleted