1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism Students: Don't Do This

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lcjjdnh, Jun 27, 2012.

1. JPsT

JPsT Member

Superman is a reporter, though.

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Superman spent less time reporting than Ray Romano [crossthread/]

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Hank: In my mind, it's not the incidents. It's the fact that he wrote an embarrassing, inappropriate column with no leg work just to fill space.

I know many of us sit down and write columns from memory, but the idea of having a weekly (more than one a week?) column and squandering on this makes me really sad.

If I were his editor, I might suspend him for a day or two and let him know he is on probation, document that with HR, and let him know it cannot happen again.

I would also sit down with him with a schedule and have him plan out the column for the next two months. I know there cannot be a lot of specifics, but maybe come up with a list of people, sports and events that are coming up.

He doesn't get the column back until that is done.

Just my thoughts.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Good points. One hazard with that is the only thing going on all summer in backwater Monroe County is a beer-league football team, which Jeff already covers. I'd rather not hear what he thinks about Detroit pro sports teams, considering that he doesn't cover them.

Once the school year starts, there should be a lot of interesting prep sports things he can write about. There's really nothing else in the county.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I do not know the county, but:

Best golf holes.

Kids playing summer wooden-bat leagues.

Legion baseball.

Swimmers.

Local road races.

Where are they now?

Greatest local sports figures

Fishing

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I agree he should not be writing about pro sports. Local sportswriter do that way too much.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Good points. I agree.

There should definitely be something more than a verbal/written reprimand placed in his HR folder.

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

I must agree with you. One good point is outdoors coverage - the western basin of Lake Erie and the lower Detroit River is one of the best walleye fishing spots in the world. Plus, the only international wildlife refuge in the U.S. is partially in Monroe County, as is a state game area.

There are several golf courses in the county, too.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Most "local" papers don't permit it anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted