1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism student looking for some advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sports_man123, Jan 15, 2007.

1. sports_man123

sports_man123 New Member

Hello, everyone.

I will be entering graduate school this fall to pursue my masters in journalism. I will also have gotten my B.S. in journalism by that time. I will be in a broadcasting program for my masters. Now, I ONLY want to do sports when I'm done with my education. And while I would like to write freelance for basketball publications, I do not want to work in a newspaper. My question is this, if I were to get a masters in broadcasting at a very prestigious school, would that significantly improve my chances of landing a good job on radio or even television? And, considering everything I have said thus far, am I on the right track? I did (and still do) write for my college paper, by the way.

2. Brock Landers

Brock Landers New Member

Either study something more lucrative in grad school or go get some experience.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I think you should be more selective.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

if you want braodcats, get an internship with the tv station or radio station. the newspaper experience will help, but that experience at a like station will be more beneficial.

5. sports_man123

sports_man123 New Member

I see. Since grad school is 2-3 years, I should get an internship as soon as possible at a station so I could have a job lined up after graduation, correct?

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Since you say you want to be in TV/radio, make sure you read from the local paper when you're on the air. That's what everyone does now.

7. sports_man123

sports_man123 New Member

Come on now, there is no need for that. I DID say I would like to do some print journalism as well.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

He should look for a design slot, right?

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Does your school have a TV station where you can work? Regardless, find a place where you can intern and get some experience.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If you've already gotten a bachelors in journalism, grad school is a waste of money spent on ramen noodles and time spent actually doing something with your degree.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Why aren't you working at a radio or TV station now? Get a job doing something, just to get on the inside. You'll see how things really work and you'll meet people who might be able to help you along the way. If you go out on the market with an advanced degree, it's nice, but most stations will be more interested in someone else with an advanced degree who also has a couple years of practical experience.

Most of the people I know in radio and TV started when they were in high school, even if it was just hanging out at the local station to get familiar with the business.

12. sports_man123

sports_man123 New Member

My plan is to teach full time down the line in about 10 years after graduating if my broadcast or writing career isn't what I want it to be. So a masters is a must for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted