1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism lingo - a guide

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Aug 19, 2011.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Our pica poles get a lot of use. They are used to cut cake and since we have a continual stream of people leaving, it's nearly a cake-a-day proposition.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

How about "refers"? That's what we called the teasers we'd include with stories that referred inside to sidebars, stats, etc.

Also, was working at paper in the late 70s. We had a power issue, computers weren't working, we had to put the paper out "by hand." Head of the newsroom pulled out headline count sheets. Half the people working on the desks asked "What are these? What do you mean, 'count' headlines?"

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Back in the day, it was always sweet to walk in on a cold day and hold your hands on the waxer to warm them up.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Sheesh, I haven't heard bulldog used in so long I pretty much forgot about it. Used it at my first stop, never needed it at this shop, as we are only one edition all the time, and I've been here for ages now.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

We still do one. Our biggest hockey usually puts it together, so from September to May it might as well be called "Hockey/Extra"

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

8. Johnny Dangerously

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

10. Johnny Dangerously

Watering hole.

11. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Should just call these Lupicas from now on. JD, bulldog is just the name for an early edition? I never heard that term up until 3 years ago.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted