1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism in SE Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GiantSquid, Jun 16, 2008.

1. GiantSquid

GiantSquid New Member

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forum - as well as being new to the country - and would be really grateful for a bit of helpful advice. I'm a sports copy editor of 10 years standing and I am looking to settle in the Milwaukee, WI area. I'm looking round for job opportunities in the market and I realize there's really only one newspaper in the city (the J-S), so I'm obviously preparing myself to be a bit flexible with regards the type of work I will do.

From scanning various job advertisements I see a lot of copy editors in the US are also expected to dabble in design as well, and I do have some experience with that.

Like I say, any helpful hints gratefully received. Cheers, GS

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Look into the Kenosha News. Solid little paper.

3. GiantSquid

GiantSquid New Member

Yes, sadly it's a familar echo of the place I've just left behind. It's absolutely brutal. Looking to get out of this game long-term but was hoping to stay in it while I get myself settled here.

Still, thanks for your candor!

4. GiantSquid

GiantSquid New Member

I'll certainly do that. was hoping to stay in the Milwaukee area if at all possible but beggars can't be choosers! Thanks.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Kenosha is only 30-40 minutes away.

6. The only other major-ish paper in the area is the Racine Journal-Times. I don't know enough about it to comment; perhaps someone else can.

I can, however, tell you this: Stay away from the Conley Publishing chain (Waukesha, West Bend, Cedarburg, etc.).
    Stay far, far away.

7. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Garbage. 'Nuff said.

As someone said, Kenosha News is a solid, small paper that's still close. I don't know anything about the Conley Publishing chain issues, but Lee Fensin is good people at the Waukesha Freeman

The Janesville Gazette's alright, too.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Pretty far away, but a great roadside cheese stand!

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

They just filled an open copy editing position on the sports desk less than two months ago.

10. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

My only advice would be to remain flexible with your location. There likely won't be tons of opportunities right in Milwaukee, but it will help if you're willing to commute. Also, check the Wisconsin Newspaper Association web site. Job listings are updated every Tuesday.

Draft saved Draft deleted