1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journalism class does the time warp

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsguydave, Jul 28, 2011.

1. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

In keeping with the "turn back the clock" theme, advertisers bought ads in the edition. Also, after it was printed, actual readers actually picked up the actual newspaper and actually read it.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

They did it for one issue, rpmmutant. What's the gripe? Would you call a trip to a museum a waste of time? This was interactive history. One issue. Done.

Pretty cool, I think.

3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Not really a gripe. It's like learning how to develop film. It's a fruitless endeavor, even though it's a cool process.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Eh. I think there are hidden fruits in all labor, but especially such as this. Agree to disagree.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

When the Interwebz gets turned off and newspapers become, well, newspapers again, those kids will have a leg up and know not to stick their fingertips in the hot wax roller.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I hated those things. had to may cuts on my fingers. I'll take the computer. Kind of a neat idea though.

7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Rubber cement? We used wax at my college paper and the two weeklies where I worked.
    The second weekly switched to full pagination in the late 1990s. I'm sure the first weekly did to at some point, but it's a few states away and I haven't been in that newsroom for more than a decade.
    But I digress.
    Again, rubber cement?

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I hope a college radio station does this....wax trax and reel-to-reel with zebra tape!!

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Worked at a paper like that about six years ago. It definitely was an experience.

They finally got InDesign just before I left.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Makes me think all the waxers went the way of the buggy whip. Good riddance.

I question technology as much as anyone, but between pagination and paste-up, there's no comparison. Especially on deadline, slicing and dicing to update the standings ...

11. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

While most of it's just a cool little history exercise, the typewriter work and hand-done copy editing might give them some practical stuff. Lack of spellcheck teaches you discipline (and at least the errors you make aren't of the facepalm stupid 'Damn you, autocorrect!' variety).

Draft saved Draft deleted