1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Journal Register files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

You knew it was inevitable:

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20090221_Journal_Register_files_for_bankruptcy.html

Under a proposal filed as part of the bankruptcy case, the company has asked for permission to pay as much as $1.7 million in bonuses to 30 top officers and key employees, should the Journal Register meet certain reorganization goals, including closing more papers and eliminating more employees. Those officers have already been paid $450,000 for a previous round of cuts, according to court papers.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Re: Journal Register files for bankrupcy

The sound you're hearing: Laughter from hell.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Yep, give those bonuses to the people cutting the shit out of the company, which is why it's in the mess it's in.

Unbelievable. Then again, it's not.

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Shouldn't there be something written into bankruptcy laws that forbid the executives from getting their bonuses while under Chapter 11 protection?

Oh, wait, what am I thinking? Those wealthy executives are the ones who donate to the politicians who write and approve/reject those laws. Why would the politicians bite the hands that feed them? ::) ::)

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Suburbia, unfortunately, you are correct. I couldn't have said it any better myself.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

No words can describe this issue. My god.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yes, there are. Please choose from the following:

• shit,
    • piss,
    • fuck,
    • c u n t,
    • cocksucker,
    • motherfucker and
    • tits.

Some seem more applicable than others.

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

They get bonuses for cutting people? Goddamn, am I glad as hell I got out of that organization.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

In related news, the company's CEO has a plan for reorganization.....more work thrust on his employees, less pay and every article is put on the internet for free.

But, hey, they'll hire 50 more ad reps, so it all balances out!

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Goodbye JRC. From hell's heart, I stab at thee.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

How in the world can these execs possibly rationalize profiting in such a manner? I know all about moral decay, but this goes too far.

Draft saved Draft deleted